How to Grind Stumps successfully?

A little one is cool for taking care of the smaller stumps, but don't be skeered to have a stump grinding guy's number to call for the big ones.

Noticed your new signature, Woody. Pulling levers on a stump grinder, no clean-up is well suited to an older person. A respirator (~$30) is SOOO worth it.

An umbrella on the grinder is in my future. If I have a big stump that I'm not subbing out, I'll use an EZ-up canopy.

Image 1.jpg Sams Club $19.95 not very well made but work well.

Let's see, just got done with stump grinding 2 x siberian elm stumps (4-5' diameter + long surface roots) we had taken down ~6 months ago. With our Vermeer SC252, it was about 6 hours on the job, including the time to load up the excess grindings and haul them off. Fridays are our usual maintenance/stump grinding/estimating day -- a nice way to wind down the week and ease into the weekend. So with that fresh experience, I would just say to make sure the customer has the right expectations from the outset. They need to know the depth you are planning to grind, or find out what their goals & objectives are -- just to reseed grass, landscaping, etc. Do they want you to chase out all surface roots? It's always good to communicate ahead of time that it is standard industry practice to rake all the grindings into a pile on top of the cavity where the stump was, so that they will compact down and compost down to soil and avoid a hazardous hole or a settled depression if the grindings were removed. If they are planning on immediately bringing in topsoil and want the excess grindings removed, be sure to charge extra!

As for tools, we use only Ames and Razorback rakes and implements, since they have lifetime warranties. We carry an iron rake, digging fork, and a 10-tine pitchfork for pitching chips, as well as a scoop shovel, ax, hatchet, and blower.

Also, carry a business card for someone else with a bigger grinder or tow behind unit. Don't be afraid to sub it out or pass it on to another stump grinding outfit if it looks unprofitable!

It's always best to sub the stump grinding out for the smaller treecos, IMO. Bigger companies like Dot Palm pretty much need to take care of their stumps themselves, for the most part.

If you have a grinder, grind your own stumps.

1: You’re not bringing in a third party into the deal between you and YOUR client.

2: You make more money.

3: The job can be done on the day, no waiting for the grinding company to arrive (or not)

An umbrella on the grinder is in my future. If I have a big stump that I'm not subbing out, I'll use an EZ-up canopy.
I don't generally mind the sun while grinding, since through the week we see a good bit of shade during prunings and our helmets cast a good bit of shade on our faces. I like getting some sun exposure for Vitamin D, and since we're not in Florida or the southern states, UV isn't such an issue for us. But if you don't mind either the Chinese peasant or Huck Finn look, you can go with a wide-brimmed straw hat to shade yourself. They're lightweight and airy and not as cumbersome as a tent or umbrella. But again, it might ruin your self-image! :P

I love my umbrella setup it covers your whole body in shade. Mostly used on my golf course gigs where there are multiple stumps in the sun.

Back