Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Lift????

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not a good way, because if anything happens to the sandbag you are toast. Building a slide crib is the proper way. Quick, easy, adjustable, cheap, durable, and won't fail. I'll see if I can find a pic.
    Kyle

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I've never seen a sandbag that wasn't tougher n shit.

I can see how they can be used with regular pads.

i can see how a bag could rupture.

Some Japanese sometimes don't like to spur trees they're removing, as it disrespectful, apparently from Jay's anecdotes. They do weird things over there, including sandbag plus wood cribbing.

I suspect pics are in the Paul's/ PCTree's Grove crane thread.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I don't think the bags would rupture, but I'm no bag expert.

Well, kinda...

It's one of those things like always climbing with a helmet, or wearing chainsaw pants, or tying in twice before cutting. You can probably, depending on the load, get away with a couple sandbags here and there, but the consequences of failure are just too great. I can't possibly see using them with a crane tho, the loads are massive and sandbags aren't designed to any strength. I could see how they could be used on small depressions under cribbing to even out the ground for even pressure, but using them to level up an outrigger scares me to death. While a box crib would be ok for a small lift, I'm not sure that even that is enough for a crane. You would need to do a completely filled one to do a crane, or even much larger timbers depending on the load.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12976242_1594982070819755_1311217240_n.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	83915

On the left side is what's known as a slide crib. The cross ways timber can be slid back and forth slightly to level out the layer, which would then be filled solid. If more height is needed, you can stack two and then one on top, forming a triangle. If even more height is needed, you can go cross ways again, and then build another triangle, the final layer is always solid, and cribbing for a crane every layer should be solid
    Kyle

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

You are blowing my mind!!!!
    Gary

That's a pic I found online, that's not me, but it shows proper cribbing. I've done some extensive cribbing though.
    Kyle

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

I posted my "cribbing stuff" about Paul's Grove in a different thread (about old blocks, derricks or some such)...this shat is ALL running together for me...damn!
    Gary

Young man on the go Sponsor lumberjack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
    Didn't Carl stop selling those?
    Nah, I still sell Nifties, for now at least.

My opinion is a year old at least, but I agree with the Tracked Lifts 72’ spider. I thought that’s what I was going to get back in 2015 before I did a comparison to an SD64. At that point I had never actually looked at an SD64 in person, thought a spider was the obvious choice.

IMO, for a 70’ Lift, unless you need narrow access (Tracked Lift’s spider) or dielectric (bucket truck) the SD64 is the best lift for usual tree work. Deva needs narrow access, so Tracked Lift’s spider is the answer.

I personally would avoid CMC, Cormidi, Blue Lift, and maybe someone else I haven’t thought of yet. The JLG spider looks impressive, but the price was something like 60-70% higher than the Tracked Lift.

I haven’t checked in about a year, but the Tracked Lift should be around $90k, give or take $5k.
    Carl Rutherford