PPE et al

He even said he almost didn't wear his helmet, just ear pro and glasses!
He knows he would have been dead if he didn't have it on.
Props on him for posting it, young fella posting a video probably sinks in more as an example for his demographic.

I looked at the helmet today. That piece of wood is still lodged in it tightly. The pics I took don’t show any more than he put in the videos. The shop owner wasn’t there (out plowing snow) so I couldn’t ask about the kids experience level.

That's nuts, i wonder how my pacific kevlar would have fared? Or even a regular construction hard hat? I have buddy that was narrowly saved from a bolt dropped by his.

Thx i feel better now :) at work if required I'll wear a fiber metal roughneck, rarely have to wear one tho lately thankfully.

Is the pacific Kevlar the one that iron workers seem to love? If so, yeah they are tough. I’ve seen them take pretty good impacts from nuts and bolts. The blunt end of a spud wrench once. Of course I also wondered why anyone in their right mind would walk under them to begin with.

Pacific kevlar is a tree climbing helmet. The roughneck is the ironworker, fitter, and other trades that work in tight spots. Some ironworkers wear full brim in certain weather or jobs, but most I've seen wear the roughneck ones. They also fit under the fibermetal pipeliner welding hoods (and now others too) so they were needed by welders on hardhat welding hood jobs. And on the bigger jobs and shutdowns, you have no choice but to work around and over other guys. Many bigger jobs have literally thousands of people all working on the same plant doing different jobs. But they often pay very good, and work tons of hours. Work is booming for people willing to go to it and do it, most big travel jobs are paying per diem and other stuff like paying high rates just to get guys that actually know wtf is going on.

The ad copy says this...

"Average service life of 5 years (more than twice the life of competing brands)"

Regular helmets are only 2.5yr service life? That doesn't sound right. I've used regular hardhats longer than that under brutal conditions, and they were fine. My boss is using my old hardhat, and it's still in decent shape. It's about 6yr old at this point, with maybe 2yr of wear hours on it.

The fire service here have switched to pacific kevlar helmets for Bushfire gear, also we use them in our road crash rescue unit, they are not just for tree climbing. Nice helmets

Pac Kev new ones are much of a muchness once you've got ear muffs on them, as far as I can tell, maybe slightly heavier. If I strip my road rescue one down to just ear muffs, I'll weigh them both, Petzl and PacKev

I've been using a Pacific on and off since 09 when I don't need intercom.
Never noticed that.

Thank the helmet
, the engineers behind it, and dumb luck he's only minorly hurt. Hopefully, he learns to look up when falling trees.

Looking up is much better than hoping for supernatural intervention.
It's a matter of opinion on this one but I certainly vote against looking up and say he shouldn't stop moving he should have kept moving gotten out of there no problem wouldn't have to look up because he would have been out of the danger's own

Back