Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PPE et al

Damn Fiona! I wish you a speedy recovery.

Last year I tattooed myself with a Silky it was an ever so slight tap. And I mean ever so light that I didn't even feel the cut(s) just saw blood coming from about a dozen little, tiny even, holes in the same patter as the teeth of the saw. The up side Silky's are sharp and clean cuts heal faster.

Quote Originally Posted by biggun View Post
    Ouch.

It happens Fiona. Heal quick. Personally I wouldn't bother with the cutproof sleeves. They are cumbersome and very hot. Just don't put yourself in the same situation again.

When ever I have clipped my self bad with a silky, I always try and work out how it happened. Then later on I might find myself in a similar position and think I ... oh yeah, that's how I got myself last time... and then try and reposition.

Accidents can happen as that is the nature of the term.

Sorry to hear, Fiona.

I'm in this camp. PPE is the last line of defense. First work out what happened (positioning, work plan, judgment, complacency). The saw didn't find your arm because you weren't wearing ppe, and a ppe sleeve doesn't protect more-easily damaged hands and wrists.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

I was holding my rope out of the way while I cut a dead limb near it...got myself on the follow-through. I know about follow through, I think about it, I picture it during every climb, I tell others to be careful about it...just yesterday though...was one of those times where I misjudged it, badly.

I thought about making my own cut-proof cuff out of some Kevlar gloves, just something to fit in the gap between glove and sleeve, I agree the ones I see for sale look way too bulky...I know it's never a substitute for proper positioning and work practice, but, why not hey?

I've never cut myself on the legs, but I still wear chainsaw pants...
    I have had knocks on the head, that's why I wear a helmet
    I have had sticks go up under my safety glasses and poke me in the eye, but I still wear them
    And I can still hear well...I wear ear defenders!
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

No careful working with all the skill in the world can ever keep the off the wall, strange, and in the end unavoidable mishap from taking any one of us down.

If you think you are immune from accidents because you are smart, know your job, and pay attention all the time to all potential risks...I think you are mistaken; you can still be struck down by the freak occurrence that cannot be anticipated.

PPE can sure help buffer us from those crazy events, but are no guarantee either. But it's simply not working smart to eschew their assistance in mitigating the damage from accidents.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Two great posts!

Kyle

i had a silkey jump out of the scabbard and bite my arm once. i was using the pole pruner and reaching for a cut just out of reach. i kind of threw the pruner at the branch while holding the butt end. the pruner rope must have caught the saw handle, pulled it right out and launched it right across my forearm. blood was drawn, but it wasn't near as bad as fiona's bite.
    "Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
    Ineptitude: If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

TreeHouser Sponsor

I use cut resistant gloves when I'm doing Silky work for hours on end. They work well to minimize damage to a hand - cut proof, no. I put sticks in the fingers of a test pair and contacted it with a Silky in various ways. Direct on puncture strike it softens the blow. Dragging passing strike it minimizes the damage some. Dragging aggressive strike it goes right through, slightly minimized.

I see value in cut resistant, just as a back up to forethought and a plan to not get cut.

TreeHouser Sponsor

TreeHouser Sponsor

The thin cut resistant gloves work well for the straight blades with a continuous cutting edge, not for the serrated blades or even more the long sharp teeth like the Sylky's. They aren't against the punctures at all and the handsaw's teeth act nearly as needles, they just go through it, between the fibers instead of across them. The teeth find the skin before they travel enough through the fibers to be stopped. The deep of the wound can be almost the length of the teeth, even if the fibers aren't ripped by a vigorous strike.

I tested them at my beginnings, at the same time I tested the sylky's sharpness
    I didn't find that it worths the cost, either for protection or for wear, compared to cheaper gloves.