Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: PPE et al

I once dropped a polesaw out of the tree to the ground guy.

It must have caught something and caught the cuff of my glove and pulled the glove right off my hand.

I instantly felt sick thinking it must have been a bad cut as there was zero pain. I saw my glove on the blade on the ground and expected the whole back of my hand to have opened up.

To my surprise, not even a scratch. I don't know how I managed that one.

I have hit my left forearm before, through a jacket and jumper and look my sleeve. The branch I was on snapped and I lost my footing in the middle of a cut. Only about 10 foot in the air. The sugoi just slapped me and wasn't raked across.

By the time I got to the floor, there was blood dripping out and of the sleeve of my jacket and my long sleeved, grey t shirt was maroon in colour.

I am pretty vascular and had pierced a vein. It was squirting out. A trip to the hospital and 4 stitches later I was as good as gold. One stitch in each hole.

Those Silky saws definitely bite.
    Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by biggun View Post
    I once dropped a polesaw out of the tree to the ground guy.
    Ha, me too. Funny, we don't do that anymore, we always lower them now unless it's a short drop. Those old wooden poles, SOP was to beat on them.

Well this one time I was fairly high up and was aiming to chuck the pole saw like a spear through a small canopy opening. After taking a practice stroke or two, I threw it hard. One teeny tiny problem was that the curved blade was hooked toward me instead of away from me, so the blade caught my hard hat square across the back of my head. What a dummy. I wasn't injured but without the hat I suppose I coulda been killed as that blade dug hard into my skull
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

Captain Zero! Sponsor FireFighterZero's Avatar

You dont want a leak on your High side.

Well, you dont really want a leak on your Low side either.

No leaks!
    There are but two seasons. Winter, and preparing for winter.
    Jim

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

Silky saw bites seem to be a matter more of work position and handling that things going unexpectedly wrong...

The discussion of 'cut proof' gloves could be in the same category as chainsaw pants/chaps. We know they won't completely stop every kind of chainsaw boo-boo, but on a spectrum of protection it can go from walking away to only needing stitches, when the alternative might have been career threatening if not life threatening. Preaching to the choir here I'm sure.

The one time we had a hanger drop out of the tree, it hit my hubby on the head, he was wearing his helmet...I reckon it could have killed him if he wasn't. Ok, we both lost track of it as it was stuck up in among other leafy stuff, so we have to take some responsibility for the incident...but still, every now and then, our careful work practices can fail, and the habit of wearing PPE is the next layer that keeps you from being permanently maimed or death.
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Good post. Those climber generated hangers are a concern...easy to lose track of sometimes.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighterZero View Post
    You dont want a leak on your High side.

Well, you dont really want a leak on your Low side either.

No leaks!
    Amen!

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Default And...

No stubs!!!

Dang, sorry to hear, Fiona! I've been wearing these for about 10 years, but only if working around stuff like blackberries, holly or hawthorne. Very comfortable. Not cut-proof, but can help minimize. I also carry Celox and bandaids, and have used them in the tree.

http://www.ansell.com/en-US/Products...sleeves-70-118

More here:
    http://www.ansell.com/en-US/Products...l-Sleeves.aspx

Thanks Bob...worth looking at.
    Indeed I also have bandaids, large plasters and an Israeli bandage with me in the tree...the large plaster wouldn't stick, there was too much blood, but I slapped it on there anyway and twisted my cuff again. I was hoping up to that point that I could just bandage things and keep on working...nope. Didn't need the Israeli bandage, had slowed bleeding by the time I got down and used a smaller compression bandage from the truck first aid kit.

It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

And that's all she wrote...more ppe stories please!