PPE et al

pantheraba

More biners!!!
I thought maybe this thread could cover aspects of stuff we wear for injury protection (see following video---one of the best put together with message, music and meaning) and stuff we wear for convenience (e.g., sometimes I wear gaiters (meant for snow/scree use) to keep sawdust out of my boots).

This video came thru a feed I get from UGA Center for Urban Agriculture..it's from Vimeo...the embed feature for this video is not active so it is just linked.

https://vimeo.com/241231873/451d916670?mc_cid=0db926c8c4&mc_eid=653aea0a2c

And it the thread doesn't take off at least the video got some exposure. :D

Beautiful background music! :lol:

A hit exactly like that one was the last day I wore a ballcap to work!!!

Attachments

• rock and roll-300.jpg
    rock and roll-300.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 97
Are you in mourning today for UGA??!!?? ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
hahaha...nah...I was aware of the madness but I got too many other things to get all vicarious about football.

As long as it's coolish weather I can wear these...just discovered today the hooks at the bottom of the leg. Wonderful to hold the pants down while putting on the saddle!

Attachments

• storm removal Danny Butler power tree  (18)resized.jpg
    storm removal Danny Butler power tree (18)resized.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 82
  • storm removal Danny Butler power tree  (19)resized.jpg
    storm removal Danny Butler power tree (19)resized.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 78
  • storm removal Danny Butler power tree  (20)resized.jpg
    storm removal Danny Butler power tree (20)resized.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 82
  • storm removal Danny Butler power tree  (21)resized.jpg
    storm removal Danny Butler power tree (21)resized.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 85
Very timely thread...I am chilling on the couch with a big bandage on my forearm. I finally got myself really good with the silky saw. Follow through while cutting a dead branch, and sliced deep on my left forearm. Stitches and all. I have never bled so much! I will now be buying one of those cut proof sleeves, I've gotten away with silky cut's for years, today was the bad one. A gusher up at 60'.

Dang, Fiona....bad juju. Silky's are serious for sure. Reckon you did quick pressure and exit the tree?

Hopefully just got meat, no connective tissue.

Yeah, thank goodness for the first aid pouch on my belt, and the one in the truck, talking about PPE. Also fortunate to have a country hospital 10 mins up the road. Straight in, stitched up and done in 30 mins...no charge

Excellent! I remember the very first First Aid course I took...probably in the mid-late 60's during lifeguard training. They taught the primary purpose for First Aid is to save YOURSELF. Knowing how to stop bleeding on your own person was taught first. You just showed the value of that.

blood was everywhere, I twisted the cuff of my shirt over it first, jammed the twist against the tree then went for the pouch on my belt, slapped a large dressing on it to slow things down,whizzed down then got a compression dressing on over the lot. I consider long sleeves a form of PPE too

A sharp Silky is no joke! Knock on wood I have been lucky enough not to get a bad cut so far. Last cut that got me on my hand was while cutting a piece of deadwood as well. It was a Live Oak and I was pushing myself after only a few hours of sleep the night before. After that I called it an earlier day. Hope you heel well Bermy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Silkys are very dangerous, masquerading as safe.

Seen some nasty wounds on the forums.

Good you didn’t hit any major veins or ligaments.

Ouch.

It happens Fiona. Heal quick. Personally I wouldn't bother with the cutproof sleeves. They are cumbersome and very hot. Just don't put yourself in the same situation again.

When ever I have clipped my self bad with a silky, I always try and work out how it happened. Then later on I might find myself in a similar position and think I ... oh yeah, that's how I got myself last time... and then try and reposition.

Accidents can happen as that is the nature of the term.

Damn Fiona! I wish you a speedy recovery.

Last year I tattooed myself with a Silky it was an ever so slight tap. And I mean ever so light that I didn't even feel the cut(s) just saw blood coming from about a dozen little, tiny even, holes in the same patter as the teeth of the saw. The up side Silky's are sharp and clean cuts heal faster. :|:

Ouch.

It happens Fiona. Heal quick. Personally I wouldn't bother with the cutproof sleeves. They are cumbersome and very hot. Just don't put yourself in the same situation again.

When ever I have clipped my self bad with a silky, I always try and work out how it happened. Then later on I might find myself in a similar position and think I ... oh yeah, that's how I got myself last time... and then try and reposition.

Accidents can happen as that is the nature of the term.

Sorry to hear, Fiona.

I'm in this camp. PPE is the last line of defense. First work out what happened (positioning, work plan, judgment, complacency). The saw didn't find your arm because you weren't wearing ppe, and a ppe sleeve doesn't protect more-easily damaged hands and wrists.

I was holding my rope out of the way while I cut a dead limb near it...got myself on the follow-through. I know about follow through, I think about it, I picture it during every climb, I tell others to be careful about it...just yesterday though...was one of those times where I misjudged it, badly.

I thought about making my own cut-proof cuff out of some Kevlar gloves, just something to fit in the gap between glove and sleeve, I agree the ones I see for sale look way too bulky...I know it's never a substitute for proper positioning and work practice, but, why not hey?

I've never cut myself on the legs, but I still wear chainsaw pants...
I have had knocks on the head, that's why I wear a helmet
I have had sticks go up under my safety glasses and poke me in the eye, but I still wear them
And I can still hear well...I wear ear defenders!

No careful working with all the skill in the world can ever keep the off the wall, strange, and in the end unavoidable mishap from taking any one of us down.

If you think you are immune from accidents because you are smart, know your job, and pay attention all the time to all potential risks...I think you are mistaken; you can still be struck down by the freak occurrence that cannot be anticipated.

PPE can sure help buffer us from those crazy events, but are no guarantee either. But it's simply not working smart to eschew their assistance in mitigating the damage from accidents.

Back