Derrick rigging and redneck cranes

HxQh9Xz.gif

I think it is fascinating, Kyle. Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out and explain things.

Brian, there can be many other reasons besides fear, that guide how a business takes shape.

I totally agree. I do dozens of jobs a year on small wooded islands where there are camps and houses but not any roads, or access for hydraulic machinery. I will sometimes have to bring out both the GRCS, Hobbs H2 and my gas powered Portable Winch to move, lift and lower pieces of wood.

Too many people these days haven't a clue how to do old school rigging...such a shame. These are timeless skills that we need to pass on to the next generation so that they are not lost.

That's the kind of stuff which I love to look at. Thanks.

If you can edit some of the previous posts, the links for the pics don't work in the posts 3 and 55.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm sorry, I didn't notice it, yeah I'll see if I can. Here's a couple other ones too, this one is a derrick on a ship, showing a cool and easy way to do the u joint on the boom. While it wouldn't work on a derrick that rotates more than 180 degrees, you could readily change it to move in one axis only. It also shows the amount of maintenance needed, which is about zero. Simple stuff like this can take abuse like none other.
2009122231_derrick2.jpg

mcgiffert-loader-in-action.jpg

Here's some sheerlegs, similar to my truck and trailer build.

fig9-7.gif

Here's the one from the other post about deadman anchors, this greatly increases the holding capacity by increasing surface area. Basically the goal with earth anchors is using a large chunk of dirt and it's cohesiveness to resist the load. Steps to increase that bonding are rewarded with greater holding capacity

log_booms_6.jpg

Here's the last one from 3, where the log chunk for making the boom swing is visible.

That's looking like some hard work!

Yeah, for a large one like that on a rooftop. That one is probably about 30 tons capacity, and it shows how the pipe sections can be bolted together to enable it it be brought up and down in a small freight elevator

I don't know why they didn't post right, or allow me to fix them... Probably too much in a single post for my phone or something?

Seeing the real world application of picking up those huge logs is encouraging...and daunting. Pretty audacious to make a rig like that and have it work so well.

Musta been hell to extract those grapple tongs.

I've never seen any need to set tongs. Might be different proportions with smaller logs and smaller tongs than those big tongs/ big logs. I bet it worked pretty easily. Maybe a kick to loosen.

Thx Stig, I'm going to have to get that to add to my collection :)

That also reminds me I need to add a list of books here too, many of which are free, my favorite kind

I never hooked up to anything nearly as heavy as those logs, nor with tongs as large either...but I have pulled some decent sized wood with tongs...infrequently it was some trouble to get a solid grip, but never was it hard to knock them loose.

Probably right. Its all about the angles. Never the less the psi on those tips must be intense

Back