Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Derrick rigging and redneck cranes

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I can stick it.

Wow just noticed this, and I'm quite honoured!

As far as welding goes, it's been randomly spread out i think. If you have a specific question, i would gladly help if i can

Edit: i did manage to find the long winded explanation of my disliking mig welders for home use.

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/sh...lding+machines
    Kyle

Kyle

Treehouser Sponsor chris_girard's Avatar

Good stuff Kyle. I just love those old illustrations!

I wanted to show some cribbing techniques that I've found helpful, and figured i would put this here in this thread because technically cribbing is a form of rigging. Working pipeline has shown me the value of knowing this stuff (didn't have a clue about it earlier), and is so handy i think just about everyone can find a use for it. Pipelines are built above ground next to the trench they are installed in, and timber cribbing is the traditional way they are raised to enable welding the bottom. It is cheap, sturdy, and infinitely adjustable to the situation at hand, and I've used it many times since for levelling or supporting things. This is very useful when working on equipment or welding or timber fabrications.

There are three different techniques that I'm aware of and use, the box crib, the crotch, and the slide. The box crib is used in all of them, and is the basic technique. It is simply stacking timbers in an alternating form, much like Lincoln logs. Friction holds everything in place. A crotch is used to keep things from rolling, and consists of timbers placed on an angle to form a v shape which keeps things from rolling. A slide is when an extra timber is used to form a ramp, which allows another skid to be slid up or down the ramp, changing the height. By using this we can level long sections just like if we had a jackstand.

The pictures I've decided to use show multiple techniques used together to achieve what they needed to. The first one is a box skid with a crotch. You can adjust the height slightly by lifting the crotch skid and sliding the cross skid that it sits on closer to the pipe. You can level perpendicular to the length too, to get an i beam or similar level by doing just one side. You are fixed in height using a box or crotch skid, so that is what is usually used to start. A slide is used to level, so it's used secondly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hardwood-Skids-3_0.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	92919

This next picture is fuzzy, but you can see how they accommodated the cross slope by forming a slide at the bottom, so the rest of the box skid is level. They then used stacked skids for the the pipe to sit on (using a crotch) making it stronger so it isn't relying on one skid to not bend.

Name:	img-skids5.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	92916

This is how i prefer to build a slide, the box skid is simply the foundation and the gives the desired height. If i need slightly more i stack 2 skids on top, higher yet i build the box higher first. This is simplest way and strongest way to build a slide. Some prefer to use wedges from ripped skids to form the slope of the slide, which is fine too, but the thicker whole skid is stronger and doesnt rely on perfect alignment to stay in place.

Name:	Screenshot_20190316-131839_Samsung Notes.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	92918
    Kyle

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Good info...knew the box, not the incline or slide. My first exposure to cribbing was with First Responder training...taught to use it to stabilize overturned vehicles before entering for extrication.

Here's where we used box cribbing to salvage a crane operation that got squirrely. Crane put the 46' trailer with heavy CT machine in place...crane left. The technician using the onboard hydraulics almost let the support leg get off the concrete pad. My son, Alex, came to the rescue with his trailer and cribbing...calling the crane back was at least another day and $2k...it was a 100 tonner. We were able to lower the front of the trailer weight onto our eqpt. trailer and "back" the medical trailer back into place. It was a touch and go situation for a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reset trailer select  (10)resized.jpg   reset trailer select  (12)resized.jpg   reset trailer select  (14)resized.jpg   reset trailer select  (15)resized.jpg  

reset trailer select  (16)resized.jpg   reset trailer select  (17)resized.jpg  
    Gary

Excellent work Gary, your extensive work experience ranging from trees, diving, and crane work, (and a bunch more I'm probably not even aware of!) is both humbling and inspiring. Thank you for sharing that. Great quick thinking and figuring it out with what you had to get it done.
    Kyle

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Thanks but that was probably the 3rd time I have used a crane...huge lots I don't know about them.

Alex gets props for ciphering that solution...he pulled out butts out of a mess with that trailer.
    Gary