Coast Redwoods 2018

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The groom awaits as his bride approaches ...

First_Look_2000mdv.jpg

I don't get that either, Mario.
Why not have him look over his shoulder, expectantly?

Or is it a shotgun marriage.

I don't get that either, Mario.
Why not have him look over his shoulder, expectantly?

Or is it a shotgun marriage.

In much of the United States, grooms never look backward while waiting for the first look part of the ceremony when the bride approaches ... until they are given the green light to turn and face her, which is typically when the bride is closer than the space shown in the photo. Odds are most marriage planners would guess what stage of the ceremony that was, from seeing it happen weekly or monthly.

It was rather dark to get a good photo under this tree, but it's still rather interesting. The bright green sprouts up on the trunk were very bright and cheery. Reminds me of an asparagus patch.

Attachments

• PC_Big_1400mdv.jpg
    PC_Big_1400mdv.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 38
Nice job, Mario. That's a tough red to get the light just right on. If it's the one I'm thinking of, anyway. Along the Prairie Creek Trail. There was a broken limb hanging down obscuring the view of the tree. and the back light on the creek side of the tree was always a major distraction.

As you mentioned, that particular red ... sort of faded, facing shade seems difficult to get the color from. The greens on the sprouts are like the opposite to contend with.

Gerald !!!

When we were near Jedediah Smith park, you were looking at or photographing some fir trees. True firs "Abies". Can you refresh my memory on what type of species of Abies grow around there? I was enjoying the bark on this one I saw the other week.

Attachments

• Abies_1200.jpg
    Abies_1200.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 24
That's the Abies grandies, or Grand Fir. Locals simply call'em White fir, and even piss-fir, because the old ones can spew a lot of pissy smelling water when you sock a saw into them. Normally they are smooth barked and gray, almost pure white, especially near the tops. The species is well known for having Balsam blisters, which hold copious amounts of pitch, which can really mess with a climbers ropes bad.

The wood is crap, but they do make molding out of it, and use it for mud sils.

And it is hard to fall, without having it break into pieces.
Shit'll bust up over almost anything, where a Doug fir would just bounce.

Put somebody in a dress next to that one, Mario, please.
I want to get a feel for it's size.

I was in a piss-fir patch in the Sierra. Trees averaged 120 feet tall and had 3,000 bf apiece. Like a corn field. Cut near 50,000 bf there one day. That's like 10 truck loads of logs. Good day cutting, Paradise, but terrible pay @ $6/.50 per. I quit.

Always trouble in paradise. The more you cut the less they pay. Viscous.

That's the Abies grandies, or Grand Fir. Locals simply call'em White fir, and even piss-fir, because the old ones can spew a lot of pissy smelling water when you sock a saw into them. Normally they are smooth barked and gray, almost pure white, especially near the tops. The species is well known for having Balsam blisters, which hold copious amounts of pitch, which can really mess with a climbers ropes bad.

The wood is crap, but they do make molding out of it, and use it for mud sils.

Thank you! I had forgotten. It seemed that maybe you had included a photo in one of your books of the photos you took from the bend in that one road of the fir trunks. I seem to recall seeing them. I was thumbing through your Jedediah Smith book yesterday to see if I could spot them, but there's lots of photos.

Here's something from a month or two ago. Its still really dusty, but regardless, this is my favorite time of day. This was near Howland Hill Rd..

Attachments

• Sun_2000mdv.jpg
    Sun_2000mdv.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 31
Back