Coast Redwoods 2018

Looks a lot like the first Smith river picture you posted, Mario.

Can you maybe show both.

I loved the poor lonely Trillium:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks a lot like the first Smith river picture you posted, Mario.

Can you maybe show both.

I loved the poor lonely Trillium:)

The first one you've seen that I printed too, was from 6:30 am shot at 1/8 second and f/11. It was a bit darker. The more recent was about 8:30am shot at 1/5 second and f/16.

Attachments

• Smith_1200.jpg
    Smith_1200.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Smith_2018_2000mdv.jpg
    Smith_2018_2000mdv.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 36
Imagine having a little cabin out there!

There are a few cute cabin-like houses back in those trees, along with regular size homes. This is the right or south fork about 1/4 mile around the bend from the view in those other photos. One of the prints hanging in the Curly Redwood Lodge motel. There's a very small house to the right side. It may be cropped out, but this is it's view. You can see a hint of the driveway or road back in the trees. But when I stood for this shot, I could see the small house. It would be a lovely place to reside. And fish, for fisherman.

Attachments

• Fork_Print_16x20.jpg
    Fork_Print_16x20.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 43
Jurassic Park is open for business ...

HHR_Van_14mdv.jpg

A tree we encountered early June. A good example of near-zero taper in the coast redwoods. I call this one the "Nitro Express" after the .700 round made by Holland and Holland.

Attachments

• nitro_clrk_frks_14mdv.jpg
    nitro_clrk_frks_14mdv.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 22
From the other day. Not easy to photograph on sunny days, but an early start helps.

Attachments

• Sorrel_Wood_2000mdv.jpg
    Sorrel_Wood_2000mdv.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 42
nice soft exposure, good contrast and kind of a 3-d feeling to it.
Thank you. Summer hasn't been a favorite time to take redwood photos for a few years, but I'm beginning to figure out some alterntative ideas for that season.

Here's one from Jedediah. 200mm takes the eyes on a trip to inner space.

Attachments

• Limb_2000mdv.jpg
    Limb_2000mdv.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 38
Those are good, Mario.
Like Gerry said, almost 3 dimensional.

Those are good, Mario.
Like Gerry said, almost 3 dimensional.

I'm certain he's been through this spot before. Same Jedediah Smith park, but different area than posted previous. Only a couple minutes from the road.

Attachments

• Primeval_2000mdv.jpg
    Primeval_2000mdv.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 21
You using Dynamic Range settings? I only ask because the highlights are not washed out. Looks familiar, but I can't nail it down.

I try to photograph when the sun isn't it's brightest yet, and tend to underexpose. Then brighten the entire image in lightroom and slide the highlights slider to decrease the highlights. So the Canon 5DS doesn't have dynamic range that's great, but I just underexpose by about 1 or 2 stops quite often.

So far, I don't really like HDR. My 5DS can do it in camera. But I don't like it for forest. For cities and buildings sometimes. But I'd rather shoot one frame and work with it.

My friend just got the Sony A7iii which is supposed to have great dynamic range. But I doubt I'd switch. It seems like great dynamic range isn't better than waiting for the best light in the forest.

PS ...

There's path beyond the bridge along walker rd. on the right side between the old burly trees. Not Simpson Reed .. but the other side of the bridge.

There's still ground in the Walker Road area I have yet to walk through. all off trail, of course. And even with the crowds there are still parts seldom seen by most. Early morning always works for me.

There's still ground in the Walker Road area I have yet to walk through. all off trail, of course. And even with the crowds there are still parts seldom seen by most. Early morning always works for me.

The "early morning" you mentioned sure helps on Howland Hill Rd. this time of year. Mid-day and sunny the dust really pops in the light. But early morning, the soft fog still does the trick.

Attachments

• Dust_Van_2000mdv.jpg
    Dust_Van_2000mdv.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 39
This was a fun patch to explore last week.

McArthur_Creek_2000mdv.jpg

Back