Coast Redwoods 2018

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The light sure looked nice on this trunk set back a ways from Simpson Reed trail.

Attachments

• Wild_Thing_2000mdv.jpg
    Wild_Thing_2000mdv.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 66
Taken during a heavy downpour. The giant "pipe cleaners" sure have a lot of character still clinging to the hemlock trunks. The hint of blue is a coast redwood.

Attachments

• PipeCleaners_2000mdv.jpg
    PipeCleaners_2000mdv.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 45
This is not a particularly good photo for clarity, but I like the view and location. Not shown, we found a large Port Orford cedar behind these which is among the 5 largest known. Had a dead top, but it should hang around for a while.

Attachments

• Deep_1400mdv.jpg
    Deep_1400mdv.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 28
Try full view. A gnarl of old Rhododendrons cloaking some redwood trunks. The climbing event of the Brotherhood Tree redwood limited time for scenery. I hope to return this week solo if there's some clouds, rain or fog in the forecast.

Attachments

• Rhodo_Gnarl_2000mdv.jpg
    Rhodo_Gnarl_2000mdv.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 80
Howland Hill road, early morning en route to look for spots to use for a 20,000 x 20,000 pixel composite photo.

Attachments

• HHR_2800mdv.jpg
    HHR_2800mdv.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 72
Grieg French Bell grove. I went here in the morning, the day I was photographing a ranch wedding in Scotia, nearby.

Attachments

• A_Grove2000mdv.jpg
    A_Grove2000mdv.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 61
Nice, Mario. The Grieg French Bell Grove isn't the prettiest, biggest grove around but it's always been one of my favorites. It has it's own kind of peaceful feel to it. From your pic it appears the trail thru the sorel may be a little wider than it used to be.

Nice, Mario. The Grieg French Bell Grove isn't the prettiest, biggest grove around but it's always been one of my favorites. It has it's own kind of peaceful feel to it. From your pic it appears the trail thru the sorel may be a little wider than it used to be.

A couple spots did seem a hint wider, but it could be the angle or light. I heard the parks had an increase of visitors the past few years, and that may be related. I noticed on Instagram that photographers never share the name of this grove, probably to keep the location more mellow. But a lot of their IG followers are photographers and they may be hoping to keep others from selling more prints.

This last visit, I was paying closer attention to the rolling ground and nearby river. I suppose it may be a safe assumption that river flooding and silt over the centuries accounts for some of the nifty gentle contours.

From a previous rainy day. Some wandering through Jedediah Smith park, and one more new friendship. His daughter and roommate tagged along too. I was 100% rain forecast that day .. which I find excellent.

Attachments

• Forest.jpg
    Forest.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 24
From the first photos taken this week with a newly purchased Canon 45mm tilt shift taking it to the redwoods every trip.

Curve_TSE_POTN.jpg lens, it's evident I'll be

Sun came out in Prairie Creek today, so I drove back north to Jedediah Smith park. Then clouds and fog I enjoy started covering around 1 pm. Enjoyed meeting some new folks from China, Canada, Medford local, and elsewhere. Visitors were especially cheerful today.

Stout_NewYears_LR1600.jpg

Seen the two new toilet areas along Howland Hill Rd.? One at Boy Scout Tree trailhead and the other at the Mill Creek trailhead ? Bath_Blog.jpg

Back