Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Climber Weight

Treehouser

Default Climber Weight

Hello all,
    New here to Treestuff and looking forward to everyone's insight here on the forum..

A little about me and then to my question...

I am 30 years old and own a landscaping company. I do a fair amount of tree work and have had a lot of bad experience keeping an experienced climber on staff due to not having a huge demand for climbing. It seems like most climbers just want to climb and I get that.

When I was 18 I went to work for a tree company and did a little climbing when I was allowed (basically low risk stuff due to my experience). My boss was far from someone I would have considered a mentor and most of his instruction was telling me to hurry the f*** up and get the tree cut. I worked with this company for almost a year before they went out of business.

12 years later I have put on a lot of weight, but interested in brushing up on my climbing so when I have the demand for a tree to be climbed I can rely on myself to get the job done and safely.. I am 5' 11" and weight about 280. About three years ago I has surgery on my right knee for a meniscus tear that is worse now than it was before the surgery.

Ultimately, should I be climbing?

It has been a long time since I have climbed and I am sure that I have forgot most of the little bit that I learned when at the tree company. I called around to a few companies that offered climbing classes and they would not allow me to enroll due to my weight and told me to lose 80-90 lbs and try back. The main reason for wanting to attend that classes was for safety instruction and rigging technique. I am a bit more mature and safety conscience now than when I was younger.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

TreeHouser Sponsor

Welcome to The Tree House treesplease. An interesting thread you started.

I doubt you want my opinion. But on the off chance I am wrong I will give it to you anyway. It is very doable to have your body healthfully drop half a pound to a pound per day till you are down near your ideal body weight. For me that is the weight I was when I was in high school decades ago.

When it comes to torn things in the body a doctor should be consulted to tell you what that means. After that and before doing irreversible operations etc a person can look into how our bodies can tear things and , if they hadn't, what would have had to be going on in the body to not have it happen.

Why is this information of so little interest to most? No pill or surgeons knife can successfully give you what you want - it can't be bought. It's all you, it's all personal effort every step of the way.

Welcome to the tree house!

I cut trees part time, I'm the same height but 205-210. I have a little beer gut, and I can def tell that I'm out of shape (I don't do that many trees as of late). Others here might disagree with me on this, but I don't see any reason why you can't climb. You won't be able to get to as many places as someone lighter, you won't be able to climb on as small of wood as some guys, but you will be able to climb trees. You already know, or will soon rediscover, that climbing is very physical, and is probably the most physically demanding thing that I've ever done for money. Good news is that it's an excellent workout, and climbing frequently will probably shed pounds quicker than anything legal you can do lol. If you can do a pull up, you can climb. Now your knee is concerning, but I bet losing weight will help it immensely, but it will cause you problems. Spurs are going to be even more of a torture implement, and foot ascenders will load it at an angle as well. I don't know anything medical, but maybe a brace could help there. Worst case, depending on where you live and what kind of trees you are in, a lift can rented, allowing you to magically float through the air, all while comfortably standing. Something to always keep in the back of your mind. I don't know if you are a long time lurker first time poster (like I was), but if not, you have some of the world's most knowledgeable people at your disposal here. With some patience and work, you will be able to learn a bunch, and maybe even make a buck or two.
    Kyle

Have a look at this thread, I think you'll find it worthwhile. https://www.masterblasterhome.com/ar...p/t-17451.html

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

Hi there! Welcome on board and that's a great first post.

Lots of good reading in that thread that Steve just referenced ^^^.

I've had three knee ops, a shoulder op and plenty of soft tissue injuries. For me GOOD Physiotherapy has been absolutely essential for correct rehab and recovery. It's one thing to have the op, but proper, guided recovery followed by strengthening exercises is essential.
    You so quickly lose muscle tone and mass after an operation as well as muscles can 'turn off' due to the pain and swelling, and unless you retrain your muscles to fire and operate correctly things will become unbalanced again, leading to more pain!
    Yes, losing weight will also be necessary in the long run, but doing a bit of tree climbing will help with that!

Good luck mate, and have a go.
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

Good luck and welcome!
    Peter

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

You'd have to be strong as hell to manage that much weight in a tree. That is with two good knees.
    Apart from the difficulty with moving freely in the crown, standing in spurs and blocking a stem down would kill your knee.

When I look for new apprentices, I tell right away that we won't take any that are overweight, because in my opinion they have no future in the business.

So lose the weight first, get in shape, then learn to climb.

Treehouser Sponsor

Having had a meniscus surgery 4 months ago myself, I feel for you. I'm speculating that you've accepted that your knee is F***** but it shouldn't be. Maybe another surgery is in order but this time lose the weight and rehab the knee properly. As to your question, should you be climbing. Until you get your knee fixed I would have to say no. Of course this is only my opinion but I can't see anything productive coming out of it. Up a tree with a chainsaw, limited experience and a bad knee doesn't sound like a great start. This line of work is hard enough for guys and gals that are physically sound.

Didn't intend to echo you Stig. You posted while I typed.

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Didn't intend to echo you Stig. You posted while I typed.
    Happens all the time.
    Blame it on the 8 hour time difference

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Welcome to the TreeHouse, brother!

The combination of your weight and your bad knee puts you out of contention for being a daily, production climber.

Sorry!