What's your year been like, business wise?

Very busy.
Booked into August with promise of a fat 2 week job in September....

I got a new climber starting next Monday...so I'm looking forward to that.

I started charging more too....and I plan on trying to charge even more if it doesn't mellow out by September.

Definitely headed into the busy season (a little later than last year). We're about 2 weeks booked, last year at this time we were a month out. I would attribute that to our decision to restrict Home Advisor to the local area and not have the Kansas City area active. We're trying to really establish a reputation here in the local market, so we have been working a lot more locally. Staying busy and working locally -- not much to complain about! If it slows down, we'll re-expand our area. And I'm doubling down on SEO efforts for our web site to stay ahead of the late fall/winter lull.

Started out crazy busy. Now only a couple weeks of work on the books. Mixed feelings about that. Phone has been quieter. Raised our prices a little. Think we maxed out.

Slow here - I have cut down the contract climbing & concentrating on my own work more. Transition is difficult but even with the reduced work load still more profitable:)

Booked up for the rest of the year.
Might eventually have to find some help.

Our summer logging job started out as 300 cubic meters, then they kept adding to the order, currently we are at 2050 cubic meters.
That will take all of august to fill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I mean that anyone can be busy, halve your prices, you could still make the payments on the truck, eat and pay the rent.

This is not directed at anyone specific (including you Stig) who is booked out months in advance.

But are are these people certain that they are pricing as advantageously as they could? Or is it just a case of I have work, I’m a success.

Logging prices are pretty much a fixed item here.
There is no way I'd go below what is accepted as the general price.
In the case of uor summer logging job, I asked for an ekstra 10% because of steep slopes and got it.

As for our 1000 man hour pre commercial thinning job, that is paid by the hour at a decent rate.

So, yes, we are and will be making good money.

The only arbo work we'll have room in the calender to take on will be priced very high. Having a full calender gives us that option.

Well, it’s that time of year again, a mid summer slump means I’m 8 or 9% down on last year, no big deal, the government take all that anyway.

Generally it’s been good, getting better rates, my health has been good, no bad back or other debilitating stuff, I’m excited about my little Echo, that little firecracker is the answer to a prayer.

Lots of work waiting on drier weather in the new year.

These are good Sean but there comes a point when even these will sink.

I hate working in the pissing rain anyway and avoid it wherever possible.

Attachments

• D398A05F-25D4-4F37-BC5B-1DF72336A5B9.jpg
    D398A05F-25D4-4F37-BC5B-1DF72336A5B9.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 33
Back