Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your year been like, business wise?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5W2GQdT.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	83577

No actually that was 2016, it's been a pretty good this year really.

Bit hard starting up in a new town but I've been getting some work, usually good jobs.

Old clients still ring me from Sydney to see if I'm coming back. That's a bit hard to handle sometimes, there's no one I can refer them to. Been back a few times but it's just about all over for there, going to get serious here for next year.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

You'll make it!

I'll know better, soon.

I need to show as much profit as possibly this year for getting a mortgage.

All fingers and toes.

Not a ton of work stress this year. Pretty much gave up advertising, except during storms, wanting to get that 'seed' job.

New to me 1-ton, GRCS, more rigging gear, extra saw.

Boxer is in at the Boxer mechanic. Hope after three years the mysteriously collapsing supply hose to the hydraulic pump issue will be fixed (mechanic thinks too much sealant at the factory is clogging an internal screen).

Working out of too little space, but at least lots of covered space. Hope for a property where I can make noise without concern for neighbors.

Expect to have my favorite employee coming back full-time. Never paid $25/ hour for a groundie, but he wants to learn to climb, at least enough for an emergency or easier climbing. Works safely, always on time. Doesn't spend energy second-guessing the next step in the process, knowing I have the next three to five steps planned, with the end in goal mind. Good with a wrench, and a solid driver. I'll have to get set up with a mill, lathe, and welder to pick up some skills from him.
    Employees are way harder than tree work.

Have to hire a 'young back' once spring season gets really rolling.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Captain Zero! Sponsor FireFighterZero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mick! View Post
    I know things have been tough for you Jim, it?ll turn around. Any ideas? Maybe repairs for other guys? Not many as talented as you with a spanner.
    I have thought about that many times Mick. Always as a last resort. Every repair shop around here has a standing offer for me to come to work as well.

I have thought about some custom farming type work as well. Especially now that we have full time help.

Just never seems to be enough time after we get our stuff done, but we are still working at streamlining our operation.

2017 was actually better than 2016.

I learned a lot of lessons about controlling costs on a bad year after the 200,000 cash loss we had.

This year we actually broke even....but only because we got nasty with our costs....both personal and professional.

Learn a lesson every year......pretty soon we will be unstoppable!
    There are but two seasons. Winter, and preparing for winter.
    Jim

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Jim, I like the attitude. Like seeing how you soldier on.

Sean...your new guy sounds very good. Great mindset to work with you...a thinker is excellent.
    Gary

Ask me again this time next year.

This year I have quit, packed up and moved country. Shifted the whole family to Norway, settled in there. Been back to the UK a few times to finalise the sale of the house and my work truck.

Only really worked a few days in September and October so I saved the invoicing till November to make the accounting process easier. Also I had to wait till my papers were in order for starting my business.

I managed to bill 130000 Norwegian crown just contract climbing in November and December. Got a new truck on order and a chipper coming in January. So next year I plan on a better year.

I will be happy if I can get a handful of my own jobs a month and build on that. The rest of the time I will be contract climbing as it is pretty good money and no stress.

It will be interesting looking back this time next year and reflecting on what I have written and hopefully it will have happened.

Looking forward to the challenge.

All the best everyone for 2018.
    Rich.

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

I respect the hell out of you for doing that move, Rich.
    I really do.

Thank you Stig.

It hasn't been plain sailing by any means but I truly believe it will be a better quality of life for the family and I.
    Rich.

This is almost 5 Year’s for me now running Simply Arbor. Grew 100% for each year for 3 years and have now leveled off for the most part. Now essentially trying to maximize gross from a 3 or 4 person crew at market labor rate. Paid off a bunch of equipment, acquired newer and more reliable equipment. Goal now is to introduce a better business structure and keep steady. I like having one crew and will keep it that way most likely. Best paid crew in town (very fortunate to have a merry band of badass tree heathens on deck), lots of rigging and climbing goodies and perks like health insurance, vaca, snowboard passes, etc. As another thread mentioned, stress levels through the roof, but now I feel like we have breathing room and can ease off a bit... Taking 5 weeks off to hang with family and prep for another round in 18.
    Best of luck to all out there, sounds like many are doing well and here’s to continued success and safety.

I didn't do too much with my micro tree service this year, but what I did was good. Had my first kid born last December, stayed home and helped with that last winter, working here and there, worked about a month straight, then asked for a layoff so I could hit an outage before the summer work kicked off (unusually slow around here lately). Didn't get called for the outage, but got sent out as a helper on a pipeline job, which I worked til October or so, when I had to come home to help with kid #1 because kid #2 is due this week (why you see me on here so much lately . So I didn't work as much as normal, but I did ok enough. Mainly got my foot in the door for this coming year as soon as I'm ready, this time as a welder. So money wise, meh, but family/life wise was the best year of my life. This next year should be my best in my life money wise tho, and am planning on investing into some more tree equipment, slowly building it up without debt load. Before too long, I'm hoping to be covered no matter what work is doing, maybe even have a crew running while I'm working elsewhere. Time will tell tho, but God willing I'll be getting a mini and possibly a tow behind, although that might have to wait another year. After this kid's here I'll be able to get back outside to start my truck bed that I was supposed to start a few months ago lol.
    Kyle