What's your year been like, business wise?

Mick!

TreeHouser
The end of the year provides an opportunity to look back on a year's trading, assess and plan for 2018, sooo...

I've had a pretty good one, 20% up on last year, solid employee seems happy, new loader paid for in full, consolidated my French clientele.

From what I can garner a few others have invested over the last 12 months.

For 2018 I'd like a spider lift or to find a decent young climber.

Non tree workers are welcome as well obvs, it's all interesting.

After last years disaster ending, we entered 2017 with some trepidation and a deficit to make up for.

It has been a great year.
Lots of work all year, even had to pass some on to some of our arbo friends in the last 2 months.

Economically it has been very fine, too.

Weather has been shit, of course.

With two new state forest districts as clients, it looks promising for 2018 as well.Only thing is, they are far from our home base, so we'll be spending a lot of time on the road.

Up by 9.5% gross. More on the net side. 42% close rate on estimate by dollars bid vs dollars closed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Money bid versus money secured, good stats, I had never thought of recording that.

First half of the year was crap. Second half has made up for the past 3 years. Not all tree work. I managed to acquire a newer truck, a new 461, a good handfull of used saws 260 to 066, chipper, a bunch of gear and equipment, managed to do repairs to a good portion of my equipment. Motor shop has picked up nicely at the end.

S’right, we seem to be in a period that we will look back on in a few years (whilst eating our own pets) with some nostalgia.

Or maybe not.

Im not a numbers guy but I know we had an awesome year. Im tired! I need to focus on maintenance so we can keep everything running as we are so equipment dependent now. Need more employees but everybody knows the challenges with that. I have till march to vacate my current wood lot and hopefully move to the other side of the farm if I can prove I can burn without smoke.... As I said Im tired and have no motivation.... Wish I could hire somebody to figure all this shit out:lol:

Part of my renaissance has been due to my accountant’s professionalism and willingness to take on the unpleasant (to me) stuff.

Not cheap at all, but has spared me (and the wife) the toddler type tears and shouting.

I know things have been tough for you Jim, it’ll turn around. Any ideas? Maybe repairs for other guys? Not many as talented as you with a spanner.

First half of the year was average, second half was awesome. Prompted me into a restructure of my business model to include an employee and more trucks/equipment. A year ago I had one bucket truck and an old dump trailer. Now I have 2 bucket trucks, a chip truck, two chippers and a new dump trailer. Currently waiting out the winter lull in order to put all this equipment back into full production again and hopefully make a few more dollars.

I operate a tree and landscaping business here in North Dakota.

Back in April I purchased a stump grinder. One of my first calls of the Spring was for stump grinding service. I showed up and took out the stump. The price was 120 bucks. We started talking and the customer decided that he'd like to have a patio installed. Then he decided that he wanted to take a hill out of his yard and have the entire yard tilled up and reseeded. Next came his neighbor to ask about a patio. Then came his friend to ask about a patio. The stump grinder was paid for with just one job. I love my customers. Can't wait until Spring.

Joel

Not a great year here. I had a very good timber framing project that was bigger than I could handle on my own. I brought in an associate to work on it and ended up walking away from the entire project. Guy was an inept, insulting, varmintous dung beetle. And if that wasn't bad enough he talked with his mouth full and chewed with his face open. I'm now in the process of setting up my own business. I won't work for anyone again. I will be getting some advice from a neighbor who used to work for a big paper company on how to set up and run a business. I know how to cut a frame, it's the the other side of things that I need to figure out. There is good demand for my kind of work, and I have the support of my architect. If I can get set up in business I will be able to get referrals from him.

I think for my first year doing tree work I did ok. Jobs were plentiful one day and nothing the next but I managed to purchase a good used pickup, a new dump trailer and some new gear without having to make payments. I don't think I could have supported myself with this job and paid for everything but since it was a 3 day a week gig and I had another full time job it worked out well. The more work I do the more phone calls I get for other work and it is piling up already for next spring when the snow melts. I actually think I could do well at this full time next year but I am apprehensive about going all out with it. I think a few years working with a professional might be what I need before I decide to go full time, definitely so from a safety standpoint. It depends on the direction I go next year but a chipper is on my must have list...

5W2GQdT.jpg

No actually that was 2016, it's been a pretty good this year really.

Bit hard starting up in a new town but I've been getting some work, usually good jobs.

Old clients still ring me from Sydney to see if I'm coming back. That's a bit hard to handle sometimes, there's no one I can refer them to. Been back a few times but it's just about all over for there, going to get serious here for next year.

I'll know better, soon.

I need to show as much profit as possibly this year for getting a mortgage.

All fingers and toes.

Not a ton of work stress this year. Pretty much gave up advertising, except during storms, wanting to get that 'seed' job.

New to me 1-ton, GRCS, more rigging gear, extra saw.

Boxer is in at the Boxer mechanic. Hope after three years the mysteriously collapsing supply hose to the hydraulic pump issue will be fixed (mechanic thinks too much sealant at the factory is clogging an internal screen).

Working out of too little space, but at least lots of covered space. Hope for a property where I can make noise without concern for neighbors.

Expect to have my favorite employee coming back full-time. Never paid $25/ hour for a groundie, but he wants to learn to climb, at least enough for an emergency or easier climbing. Works safely, always on time. Doesn't spend energy second-guessing the next step in the process, knowing I have the next three to five steps planned, with the end in goal mind. Good with a wrench, and a solid driver. I'll have to get set up with a mill, lathe, and welder to pick up some skills from him.
Employees are way harder than tree work.

Have to hire a 'young back' once spring season gets really rolling.

I know things have been tough for you Jim, it?ll turn around. Any ideas? Maybe repairs for other guys? Not many as talented as you with a spanner.

I have thought about that many times Mick. Always as a last resort. Every repair shop around here has a standing offer for me to come to work as well.

I have thought about some custom farming type work as well. Especially now that we have full time help.

Just never seems to be enough time after we get our stuff done, but we are still working at streamlining our operation.

2017 was actually better than 2016.

I learned a lot of lessons about controlling costs on a bad year after the 200,000 cash loss we had.

This year we actually broke even....but only because we got nasty with our costs....both personal and professional.

Learn a lesson every year......pretty soon we will be unstoppable!

:thumbup: Jim, I like the attitude. Like seeing how you soldier on.

Sean...your new guy sounds very good. Great mindset to work with you...a thinker is excellent.

Back