Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Engine for splitter

As for mx you can’t beat a Honda. I blew up a few Yamaha’s and just couldn’t kill the Honda’s. They tried to kill me many times over and they were winning the war. I was into quads not dirt bikes but same idea. Down graded to a little Kawasaki now and it can’t get out of its own way which is what I needed at the time.
    -Rich

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighterZero View Post

B and S is just as good now. .
    Bs I hate briggs, honda all the way for all the above reasons
    Willie
    Southern Oregon Tree Care,LLC
    “Pruning is one of the best things an arborist can do for a tree but one of the worst things we can do to a tree.” Shigo

Quote Originally Posted by CurSedVoyce View Post
    John. I use Small Engine Warehouse. I think Andy turned me onto them years ago.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com
    That old boys name is Roy Pagent I think .His business is about 60 miles from me in Dunkirk Indiana .Several buildings and 5 acres of stuff under tarps .He hailed from Wartburg Tenn.,same as my deceased wife's people fact he knew some of them .He buys this stuff a semi load full at a time .
    Now Briggs engines.A lot of people don't know but on the old flat heads there were three designs.On say an 8 HP there were the standards with plated cylinders and no main bushings ,The IC,iron cylinder brass bushing mains ,Then the most robust long life IC industrial with iron cylinder,ball bearings mains .

More times than not small engines like on morter mixers,log splitters etc basically just need a little PM.No body wants to change the oil and other things .Splitters might set 8 months at a time in the weather no cover over the engine and people wonder why they won't start .The newer Briggs overhead valve engines are probably better but just like a chainsaw they have diaphragm fuel pumps and old ethanol gas will screw them up just like a chainsaw .The good news the repair parts are only about 5 bucks .

Hey, Al. My wood splitter engine and it seems most small engines now, has a fuel shut-off valve. Does it help reduce ethanol damage by using it to kill the motor and thereby draining the carburetor of gas for storage?

I don't do squat to my Honda on the splitter. She keeps on ticking old gas, uncovered all year for almost a decade and a half, outside.

TreeHouser Sponsor

I put fuel shut off valves on all my small engines and run them out of fuel before longer storage. It makes a big difference. I also put fuel stabilizer in the tank.

TreeHouser Sponsor

https://youtu.be/9xih1pva7IY

Just saw this more involved demo of K100 the other day. It looks pretty good.

A shut off probably would help as well as running them dry of gas before you store it .I don't but probably should .The only ones I do are my pressure washer and portable generator .Usually on the older Briggs with points ignitions the damned points get a little bit of corrosion .It's not a big deal except you have to pull the flywheels to get to them .Which quite frankly is a pain in the buttocks .--and another thing.Everybody wants their log splitter to run like it's in the grand prix or something .Briggs engines have governed speed of 3600 RPM for a reason .They float the valves a little above 4,000 and fly apart like a dollar watch above about 4500.They aren't race engines ,puts the rod right through the front of the engine .

TreeHouser Sponsor

The manual fro my honda eu3000 says to pull the cylinder to TDC after rumning it dry for long term storage