What killed this Washingtonia Palm

ClimbMIT

TreeHouser
Mark Tournier
20 hrs
Wondering what killed this Washingtonia Palm Tree?
These trees are located in Southern Louisiana. They are in the backyard that faces the North. The tree that is dead is on the Southern side of living tree. There is total of five Palms trees in this location that surround a goldfish pond.
History:
Pond was there when palms were planted. Approximately 1 1/2 years ago the liner to Goldfish pond was replaced. The reason for replacement was due to the old one have a leak. The new liner that was installed also wrapped around dead tree covering some of the root system. (See second picture) Besides the installation of the new liner No excavation had been done in that area since trees were planted.. While visiting my friend who lives nextdoor in Spring I noticed the palm had in question only had a few green fronds at the top that wasn?t as green as the other fronds on trees next to it. By early summer the tree appeared to be dead with only a couple of fronds still standing. the Smith?s told me they noticed it dropping dead fronds excessively within a couple weeks to a month in July.
Observations:
While taking soil samples (which I haven?t sent off yet) I noticed the liner to the pond had been installed around the dead tree. The liner wasn?t quite choking the tree but it was within 6 inches of the base. This is a waterproof liner. Also Ms Smith was wondering about white splotches on bark which is circled in yellow.
Weather history:
Last fall/winter only had approximately 4 or 5 freezes around 30 degrees F with long periods of above normal temps in the 80?s. This summer was One of the wettest on record.
Anyway sorry this is so long and thanks in advance for any help!
edb4cd7b02cf810d36613e27041bb930.jpg
d4d5bb3c8234fc30228496ea4036db88.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a bug or blight that has been taking them out around here for the last 5-10 years. The others will eventually die the same way as well. See the yellow tips on the fronds of the others?

My question is who cares, those palms are trashy and messy. 20 years ago every grower in South Florida had a field of them because they grow like weeds and they could turn them into money in a short amount of time. Now, no one grows them.

No bug or blight down here that I know of, just chain saws taking them out!!

Not to me. They are all full of bugs and rodents.

There is a bug that gets into the head of the Washingtonian palms and they burrow down into the head. Not sure if the bugs cause the blight or if the blight weakens the palms and makes them susceptible to the bugs, but in any case they go together and will both be present in the affected palms.

I like dates a lot, so I guess that makes date palms desirable to me.

Certainly the root zone of that palm had been interfered with...combine that with some of the other things you mentioned, frost excess rain and it could have made the palm susceptible to a range of bugs or disease that you have over there...

I like Palmettos (Sabal bermudana in particular...) and coconuts, dwarf date...hate the big date palms and chinese fans, not keen on washies,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone chiming in! Freezing rain is falling right now. Also Its snowing near by today about 2? so far with another inch expected by lunch.

Certainly the root zone of that palm had been interfered with...combine that with some of the other things you mentioned, frost excess rain and it could have made the palm susceptible to a range of bugs or disease that you have over there...

I like Palmettos (Sabal bermudana in particular...) and coconuts, dwarf date...hate the big date palms and chinese fans, not keen on washies,

Thanks Bermy I was hoping you would chime in. I think so far I have done a pretty thorough inspection. It appears that lethal yellowing is likely the cause by a plant hopper.

There's a bug or blight that has been taking them out around here for the last 5-10 years. The others will eventually die the same way as well. See the yellow tips on the fronds of the others?

Yes I have seen this online. Thanks for the tip. Haha tip

Back