Pine cut??

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
Has anyone heard of or used the "Pine Cut"? I saw it today on Instagram and it looks interesting if it actually works.
b5550667c5830fbb0482733a16c23c8e.jpg
5356d9243f23a7c9da586b5fe29972e1.jpg
78c6e9f3e775baa9bd10efa02f48b878.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'll stick a wedge in the notch on the heavy side but I don't cut the hinge wood in order to make room for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I never really understood the whole Dutchman thing..... I've read Jerry's description in Fundamentals and still do t get it. I need one of you to come and explain it in person..... Maybe I'm just slow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And the Dutchman part is just the kerf cut the goes into the hinge?

Yup. Whether something is stuck in the face or it's cut into the face intentionally or otherwise. Or in this canse cut and then inserting a wedge.

Some people look for to many ways to over complicate things.

From those pics it doesn't look like that tree got 'held' at all. Looks like it went over with a huge amount of holding wood and no wedging. Pulled or favouring the lay already.

Also from the 1st to 2nd pic the wedge is in considerably different positions. Was the wedge driven home to there? Or placed there afterwards?

Seen this , never indulged.
Some terms get blurred and regional, especially on Dutchman i think.
i think of Dutchman as simply an early close in face
by kerf full face or just to push side (to offset lean or try clear obstacle)
or tiered faces of block raise on push side or cut step down to leave high on push side.
>>i wasn't much for blocking up
i'm most confused by Swing Dutchman meaning heard many times/sounds very fancy;
i think of it as a strong tapered hinge against sidelean, perhaps center punched;
very little hinge on push side that forces tear-off by Dutchman on that side early;
allowing hard pull to opposite side to over rule/swing as that face is still closing
Most lessons in Dutchman felling just resound to me repeatedly why to PERFECTLY machine faces in everything.
>>Biggest lesson in normal felling would be why NOT to accidentally invoke any of these aspects
>>accidental full face kerf Dutchman bottom cut bypassing slanted accepted as most seen Dutchman, and most deadly
>>bottom cut bypassing slanted puts close force directly up inflexible 'roman column' of stacked fiber strength of spar
>>slanted cut bypass as close across flexible axis of fibers/ seeing as totally different
Mostly i'd use Dutchman in climbing(turning Dent model sideways to down as sidelean , across as target for horiz) and bucking,
i do consider a kerf undercut on stob, and down cut /snapcut some say to drop stob straight down as Dutchman
>>inner cut is hinge, face closes pushes back up as support like extra hand holding stob, then you complete backcut>>support gives least fiber stretch
>>similar hop small top over fence, early kerf close full face, slam hard shut, no place to go get top to hop
>> not so big as to over rule constitution of wood with warring internal forces and come apart/ barberchair as in felling proportions
Even with handsaw, pulling over limbs in tree by hand , can tier faces and see/feel effects;
>>even push some back up to start and take more from face and see how it feels etc. (while waiting for ground control to catch-up etc.)

Not quite my earliest drawings, but still some pretty ruff, from 90's mostly:
mytreelessons.com/Drawings Archive-Dutchmans.htm
After Y2K playing with Flash(would have to enable in browser):
mytreelessons.com/Dutch Push in 1 side of Face.htm
i think of kerf dutchman as earliest close in that side of face
>>across full face gives a snap/pop/or crumble as the raging forward force is offered no path of relief
>>Dutch 1side, offers other side to raging forward forces an easiest path of least resistance calling to forces seeking said relief
In my imagery:
i see a generic strip hinge on side lean as don't care what the forces this is what you get all the same on each side
>>even though the loading is different!
>>BUT even though the hinge is strip, the loading pattern form forces is more of a tapered hinge within the strip
>>>>the pivot compression position taken first, rest left to tension in tapered position, saw just cut out part of it where most needed!
>>>>to fold forward same tree, same folding resistance forward must be re-apportioned to allow support cross-axis/sidelean pulls more fully
Just as a tapered hinge is more of a custom fit to sidelean, modified to task of sideloading , not generic
>>Then too, a step/tiered Dutchman offers similar custom fit set to oppose sidelean, instead of generic all the way across, no matter what the loading
i think the front back extremes across narrow breadth of hinge are gradually reduced until inline forces/shape folds forward
>>but extremes across long breadth/axis of hinge handle the steering of the CoG into same box(hopefully)
>>these extremes are where tapered and dutchman sit
Essentially on sidelean the fat part of hinge, dutchman and CoG would try to line up across hinge diagonally
>>Note: Left sidelean will close harder on left side face,and pull harder on right rear anyway, without tapered or dutchman
>>we just seek to maximize these force effects by simply not cutting them out (more of a step than kerf imagery there)
>>by rather reducing their ante/antagonistic sides to these positions there, and allow more impact of change to tapered and dutchman effects
i find another reason to steer against sidelean when don't have to (besides practice/practice/practice)
>>is i think folding directly into lean force is hardest hit, to side is same force over longer path>>not into direct gravity pull as less
>>also,using tree force fighting self to make this turn , force is i finite,just used more
>>then wouldn't hit direct into ground, but slightly across, so not fullest concussion of hit
i think this transfers well to same in bucking(had to delete the F) top bind
direct 12 noon top of bind is severest force, try to carry to 1:30 angle fold for less force
>>by tapered hinge low pulling to 1:30facing with topside kerf dutchman to push to 1:30 as tapered pulls all in unison,not binding against each other
Use the force line/lean/top bind as power;
>>give correct mechanical command push/pulls to use power to carry to target

More or less a step dutchman ,the way I see it.
Not to be used near obstacles.
Works well ( Mostly) in the forest.

All good!
Some old pix for Robert's stash(more from my present vectorized drawing era!):
Siting by stick trick or 45 degree geometry of roofers square or rake trick
fall_footprint_size.png

gun sighting direction notes i always list with fall length
fall_footprint_direction.png

Theory of why i say see bypass horizontal across fiber grain as more of a Dutchy stop/pop/crumble;
Than much different slanted cut bypass, that puts stop across flexible axis of fiber instead
This is more to the accidental kerf full face type Dutchy; that offers no path of relief(kerf across grain on bottom cut)
But also hopefully some general Dutchy mechanix concept:
hingeFiber_2_by-pass.png

White fibers as not stretched or compressed has been questioned before;
But i still draw like this imagining if sliding thru a gradual gradient from compressed to tension fibers
>>cuz i thinx must be a neutral zone between the extremes (can't slide across from -1 to 1 w/o 0)!
>>see same in bent rope fiber i think ; going from compressed fibers to tensioned fibers gradually would then define neutral zone in between extremes

Back