The Fundamentals is back!

TreeMuggs

Treehouser
The Fundamentals of General Tree Work - Digital Edition by G.F. Beranek

Here it is folks, the bible of tree work from the legend himself, G.F. 'Jerry' Beranek! Filled with over 200 photographs and illustrations, 'The Fundamentals' is the most comprehensive reference work in our field, and has been the go-to resource for professionals in the industry for over 20 years. Jerry Beranek's epic achievement in 500+ pages is undeniable proof that good books are worth their weight in gold. Simply put, if you work with trees, you need this book!

"In 1978 I made a commitment to myself to write the Fundamentals. 18 years later, 1996, the book debuted at the Tree Care Industry Trade Show in Charlotte, North Carolina. 20 years later, 2016, it went out of print. In that 20 years the book has sold nearly 25,000 copies."

Jerry Beranek - climber, timber faller, photographer, writer, worked for 18 years to produce this incredible resource, to pass along his knowledge to future generations. There simply is no more-complete reference work on tree climbing, cutting, rigging, and falling available! Sadly, his book went out of print in 2016. Physical copies are hard to come by these days - and very expensive. Enter...The Digital Edition!

Presented here in PDF format, 'The Fundamentals of General Tree Work - Digital Edition' is perfect for viewing on laptops, smartphones, tablets, and e-readers, including the Kindle. Professionally scanned and processed with optical character recognition software, the Digital Edition looks amazing and is fully searchable. If you've been waiting to find a copy of 'The Fundamentals', wait no more!

Check it out!

The Fundamentals of General Tree Work - Digital Edition by G.F. Beranek, on EducatedClimber.com

Yah this is awesome. So you set this all up with Jerry obviously? Good on yah man. Keep a good thing going.

The bible of treework lives on. You're a good man Patrick. I mean I think you always were. But this is a fantastic thing you've done here. :thumbup:

When Patrick and I started talking about all this, probably 7 months ago, I mentioned to the members that something was going on with the book. But I didn't say what. Well, yeah, here it is.

Patrick did a mighty fine job, and I am most pleased. Thank you, Patrick!

When Patrick and I started talking about all this, probably 7 months ago, I mentioned to the members that something was going on with the book. But I didn't say what. Well, yeah, here it is.

Patrick did a mighty fine job, and I am most pleased. Thank you, Patrick!

I was wanting to ask you at Lake of the Woods. I had a hunch Patrick was on the job, some way or another.

Well done!

I cherish my hard copy. Wouldn't take anything for it. Thanks Jerry for all your work. Thanks Patrick for all yours also. Anyone who doesn't have this really needs it immediately. For the price of a few cups of coffee you can have endless knowledge.

Patrick this is awesome brother. I bought the book for $75 and the entire dvd collection for $200. $20 bucks is a steal wow. Good work from both you guys.

Contacted Patrick today because my credit card wouldn?t work because I am in the United States. Patrick sent me a Paypal request and I will finally have my pdf copy of Jerry?s Fundamentals! Can?t wait to read it ever since I saw August interview you Jerry! I could only imagine dropping that top!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I started to look at the table of contents and I haven?t been this excited to read anything in a long time! It?s been a long week. Long work days, my kid free week = living the single life, 2dogs, my own house, self employed, and it?s peak season! I am getting too old to chase tail at night then work the next day. It?s gonna storm tomorrow so perfect weekend to have something to read 🤙

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A suggestion (and an offer)

Note: My background is originally in graphic design and print production -- my degree is Associates of Graphic Design and I worked for a magazine in the '90s and a print shop in the 2000s for about 15 years.

Since this is an instructional work, I would think that the pictures would be of utmost importance to support the text of the book. Since it was originally produced in 1996 (and even several years leading up to its printing), that would put it on the brink of the digital printing revolution, but more likely it was produced with older methods (graphic arts cameras). This would lead to sub-par printed images (in terms of detail & contrast) compared to more modern scanning and image editing techniques & tools. After perusing the informational page, I would suggest some basic edits to the imagery to bring out the contrast and sharpness of the images. Here's an example of what I am suggesting, using the low resolution images available on the web page:

Book-Cover.jpg Book-Cover.png

Jerry-on-the-stump-2-saws.jpg Jerry-on-the-stump-2-saws-edit.jpg

Beranek-1-waving.jpg Beranek-1-waving-edit.jpg

Angles-and-Dangles.jpg Angles-and-Dangles-edit.jpg

Negative-rigging.jpg Negative-rigging-edit.jpg

Rigging-gear.jpg Rigging-gear-edit.jpg

That's the suggestion, and now comes the offer: I was about to pull the trigger on purchasing a copy from the Educated Climber web site, but I'd be willing to trade Photoshop editing work for a copy. I'm guessing it would take me 2-3 hours to edit 500 pages worth of images to make the type of improvements I am suggesting. I'd be willing to do a sample PDF page from the digital edition, if you wanted to see a better sample of the results. I'm not even sure who would approve of such an offer -- if it is Patrick Masterson or Jerry Beranek, or otherwise. Please take the offer in the spirit it is intended -- certainly not critical, just a desire to help out! Thanks for listening.

Back