want to buy spikes

tyberious13

Treehouser
looking to buy a pair of spikes, prefer them to have better pads than "T or L" pads unless the price is right. I'm 5'7" so nothing to tall.

pic of what I currently have at work. they kill the insides of my feet quick

spikes.jpg

Heck yea - keep the hooks.

I like the steel shincups (thanks, Brian), but most people love the (bulky) caddy pads.

Your boots will make a huge difference in comfort as well. You need boots with a steel or composite shank in the sole to spread your weight over a larger area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome everyone, sorry for the no replies it didn't notify me through email as far as I can see. The gaffs on those only measured 1-1\3" also are not mine so I didn't want to pay to upgrade them.

I make sure to buy boots with a shank in them. I ended up buying a set of spikes of one of the other forums

Those look like Kleins. I used Kleins for 20 years, although many people are not fond of the offset gaff. I found them helpful on thick barked trees like live oaks and some of our pines, especially dead ones. Keep them sharp and don't walk around on the ground while wearing them.

I have climb rites with ultra lite pads, and pole gaffs. Not that great imo. May be the shape of my shins. They put vertical blisters that match the perforations of the pad. Only does it to my right shin tho.

I never in my life saw another climber wear shin pads, like I did my entire career.

I did hear a lot of them complaining about their shins hurting, though.

Never did understand why they didn't do like me.

A few bucks at walmart!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was looking at some climbrights with the ultra lights. Alot of people seem to get blisters from the pads and that the shin cup doesn't fit to great.

Yea they are kleins, definitely not gonna be walking around in them just up ha.

I've heard shin pads help with bad pads or bad fitting pretty good.

I've only spiked a couple times and it was in those super short pole spikes. Kept gaffing out anytime I moved pretty much. It was terrible luckily I had my flip line wrapped and my climb line set

I had Bashlins from day 1...then had a pair of Climb Rights when I moved overseas and did NOT like them, they never fit right...went back to Bashlins. Tree gaffs.
Need some better pads, but the Velcro ones I've tried so far are too big...

I'd put the gaffing out down to spurs filed down way too far, and with that in mind, I'm going to guess badly files as well.

Hope the new ones are better.

I was given some shin pads by a climber getting out of the game. I never wore them.

I had Bashlins from day 1...then had a pair of Climb Rights when I moved overseas and did NOT like them, they never fit right...went back to Bashlins. Tree gaffs.
Need some better pads, but the Velcro ones I've tried so far are too big...

Just get the angled shin cup pads Fi with the straps on those Bashlins, and you'll be fine.

I bought narrow caddy pads by accident but they actually fit my shins quite nicely. Does everyone do a wrap around the shaft at the ankle?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Back