Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ladder safety

TreeHouser Sponsor

Default ladder safety

This picture showed up in our local newspaper.

Universally, I think tree workers hate ladders. But when needed, they sure are helpful.
    We have always 'footed' a ladder: One guy climbs the ladder, and another stands on the lowest rung. The idea being that the entire weight of the the person footing the ladder keeps the base from shifting or sliding out.

This firefighter is hanging on under the ladder while the other climbs it.

seems to me a lame ass way to do it and rather unsafe.

What do you other tree guys say?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	82290

Seems like the leverage is all wrong. Firefighters seem to be intelligent safety conscious individuals though, so what do I know.

Captain Zero! Sponsor FireFighterZero's Avatar

Another method is to drive your halligan at the foundation and tie off to it with a piece of webbing.

That works when you are short handed.

Honestly, I dont know why they teach it that way. I dont like it.

I prefer to stand on the ground and hold the ladder. Figure I can slow someone down if they come down the wrong way.

One nice thing about doing it the way the picture shows is that you dont have to move if someone is struggling down the ladder with a victim.
    There are but two seasons. Winter, and preparing for winter.
    Jim

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

I ladder up two to three roofs a day. Sweeping chimneys. A ladder can certainly be used safely by one person(I work alone) it just has to be set up properly.

With your toes against the bottom of the ladder you want the angle of the ladder to roughly coincide with your arms fully outstretched. Easy peasy.

No one holds a ladder for me ever. But I agree that looks like a lame way to do it in the picture. Less effective and fully open to a injury by something accidentally dropped by the person ascending the ladder.

As stupid as it looks I think that's the actual way to do it. No one gets kicked in the face, and by leaning back, he's holding it in place far better than just putting your feet on it. He can control the top part and the bottom part from his position, standing on the bottom you just have the bottom part. Best is tying it off up top. And ladders suck
    Kyle

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

I am with Kyle...I was taught that method somewhere along the line. I reckon it adds your weight to the "grounding" downward force that helps keep it from slipping.

I don't mind heights...I really do not like ladders. (except when I am tied in...I did come off a ladder painting my house years back...25 feet up, as I leaned back to paint the soffit/eaves I felt my balance slowly pass the point of no return. I was tied into a highline I had over the house. I just relaxed, watched the ladder fall away and rode the slowly tightening highline until I was about 10 feet off the ground...without the overhead safety I would have really been screwed. I hate ladders.)
    Gary

Wow good call to tie off brother
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Tree09 View Post
    As stupid as it looks I think that's the actual way to do it. No one gets kicked in the face, and by leaning back, he's holding it in place far better than just putting your feet on it. He can control the top part and the bottom part from his position, standing on the bottom you just have the bottom part. Best is tying it off up top. And ladders suck
    I agree, sir.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

If you look up in this pic you can see the feet of a couple of my ladders. The shorter one on the left(28') has adjustment for levelling the feet too. Essential IMO to have a level, stable ladder. I almost always use standoffs for accessing roofs. They make a ladder much more stable and as a bonus, protect gutters too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1573.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	82292

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Sure is clean for a chimney sweep!!

Are you REALLY a sweep????
    Gary