Best Power Pole Saws/Pruners?

rfwoody

Treehouser
Looking to buy a power pole saw.
... a new, current model (as far as I know now).

Have sort of narrowed it between:

Stihl HT133
Husqvarna 525PT5S
Echo PPT-280

Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, experience, etc. about these?

...or any other ideas?

Thanks!

Yeah, HT101 and HT131 or perhaps changed a bit in numbering. I run both of those just about every day, a little or a lot. They are both 4mix.

The HT101 is nice because it is a bit lighter. The HT131 can pull 2 inches more of bar effectively (14 inch.) And it has more power in the big cuts.

They save so much work. Be careful of bending the shafts as you take bigger pieces. Full shaft replace is about $450.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Merle.

Do you or anyone know of any bad differences in the (current) HT133 vs. the HT131 ?

The newer ones are lighter and have a triangular shaped shaft instead of round. Thinner material for weight savings but stiffer. I'll stick with my old, antique HT101 for as often as I use it. Those new shafts look mighty expensive to replace.

Yeah, there are a couple of good reviews for the 133 on youtube, but the reviews on the Stihl website are only 3.75 or so stars --- and it seems all or most of the 1 and 2 stars coming from tree professionals.....they say why did Stihl ruin the 131, etc. by "improving" it into a 133.

The Echo looks good to me because it is 12-18" longer (but it has less power and weighs 4 pounds more... but more weight at the base wouldn't make it harder to hold it seems.)

On the other hand Stihl has a 2 year warranty, so I should be safe with it (133) no matter what.

The full-on power pole saws are heavy. They work great. They are heavy and leverage-y. Relief cuts, undercuts take some oomph, but are important.

I occasionally use a Stihl Kombi system pole saw with extension. I hear you can use more than the recommended max of 1 extension.

Some guy on YouTube used several extensions.

The powerhead and attachments have held up to a lot of use over the years. Brush cutter, string trimmer, pole saw, blower. I bought the 130(r?), biggest powerhead. Thinking of getting the power broom attachment. My shoulder's wack.

Buy the Echo, don't look back . I have 2 now.
Best warranty and the parts for fixing the pole, motor etc are cheap. 2nd motor on my first one after years.
Seriously.

All of this is true. I have an Echo too. Has lasted me a long time. Runs just about as good as when bought and Ive had for 2yrs. They have their place... got to have a really steady hand if pruning but for removals they can be indispensable.

On the other hand my old boss when I got into the trade had nothing but Stihl poles and they ran great, but when something went wrong they were out for a bit.

@Sean
@Levi
@Butch

Thanks.... will check out the Stihl Kombi system.

@CurSedVoyce
@SeriousTreesAZ

Thanks for the info on Echo ... I think I'm leaning toward this.
I got an Echo CS310 chainsaw a few years ago --- my small engines guy sells them and he talked me into it.
At first I thought it was cheap and I didn't like it haha because it wasn't a Stihl.
But I have come to like it a lot (for cutting smaller stuff) ... largely because it is so light... and it does seem to run really well... even if it is all plastic :)

Like real 2 strokes and the PPT 260 was great. Better get a echo PPT 280 as they are phasing them out to the new model that seems to be replacing the 266 too.

Bought me a 280 PAS this spring

I have a Stihl HT101 good tough standard pole pruner...I did have the 130 too but I found it way too heavy. For me the slightly extra bit of power was offset by the weight. And that goes for using it from the ground AND out of a lift.
The 101 is plenty of polesaw for the work and not too heavy.

However...I am seriously looking at the Husky electric polesaw. The fixed length one, just enough extra reach for that laaasst cut that is just too far away, no having to pull start it inside the confines of a lift, and LIGHT.

I have the Stihl HT101, I put a 12" bar on it for bigger branches....its has run flawless for 10 years and made me a lot of $$ (and sore shoulders lol)

Thanks for the warning, Butch!

....the difference in weight for the new versions (103 and 133) is only about half a pound (15.5 lbs. to 15.9 lbs)

>>> BOTS, Bermy --- What is the biggest branch diameter you have cut with your 101?

I've cut some live oak branches at 16-18" on an uproot tree that I couldnt climb for safety reasons....was chunking it down in firewood size pieces and had to cut from both sides but thats a rare case fo sho!

Never cut big branches from the trunk, always take small bites starting at the tips...the risk of that big branch wacking you is in its favor.

I've cut some live oak branches at 16-18" on an uproot tree that I couldnt climb for safety reasons....was chunking it down in firewood size pieces and had to cut from both sides but thats a rare case fo sho!

Never cut big branches from the trunk, always take small bites starting at the tips...the risk of that big branch wacking you is in its favor.

:thumbup: Yep, easy does it.

Thanks a lot BOTS and Levi!

Back