Skwerl's new chipper and chip truck

Obviously you are not familiar with Florida WC laws. No need to spout off about that which you know not. Since when did I ever have 3 or more employees?

sorry if you took that personally.....laws are same here. But just keep in mind the "covering your ass" part. No need to lose everything from bullshit fock up.

carry on my friend.

Workers comp is an evil necessary

no spouting off here....just speaking the truth. Seen it get ugly here

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What Al said.....you have to take off the shrouds and clean the gunk out of cylinder fins or you risk over heat

I have a 2001 bandit 9" with 37hp motor and it chips great.....who ever had it before me put on an electric fuel pump and disconnect the mechanical pump...so when you turn off motor electric fuel doesnt pump fuel in as it shuts down....

Mine has the same mod. The old mechanical fuel pump is still on it but the threaded hole for the screw holding the top on is stripped out and the ends are sealed off with RTV or something. Mine also has an inline fuel pressure regulator with 5 settings, set on the lowest.

Fins are clean, I just changed the oil and used Mobil1 15w-50 synthetic. I'm assuming it ran straight 30 weight when originally built so hopefully the synthetic oil will allow it to spin easier while still maintaining enough pressure.

I also got a part number off the air filter and found the WIX cross reference, number 42276. Now I just need the number for the feed roller bearings.

Its a good mod Brian!....hmmm, I like the reg with settings, mine no have.

I used synthetic at first but it started to leak out so I went back to 10-30 dino and much better......keep an eye on it, synthetic might work for yours though.

My hydraulics use 30wt. motor oil

Here's a picture of it. Brand is Mr Gasket, so I assume it's an automotive part. My first guess is Summit or Jegs but I would check Amazon first. Probably something the previous owner had left over off an old race car.

Attachments

• IMG_0129.JPG
    IMG_0129.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 56
Just bought a 2002 7.3 with a flatbed on it, having my welder cut the knapheide bed off and put a hydraulic under it, going to weld up a custom chip body similar to the Arbortech stuff Ive seen. Great trucks, parts everywhere and they are quite mechanically sound. Simple engines with good power.

Just bought a 2002 7.3 with a flatbed on it, having my welder cut the knapheide bed off and put a hydraulic under it, going to weld up a custom chip body similar to the Arbortech stuff Ive seen. Great trucks, parts everywhere and they are quite mechanically sound. Simple engines with good power.

Nice!!!

Yes, 7.3 parts are everywhere, I luv that :thumbup:

Electric fuel pumps seem to be common .Fact the 31 HP I have at my shop,which has a 3 to 1 reduction unit has one .Now weather that's because the mechanical unit failed or because of vapor lock I don't know .
Unless the design has changed that engine used an up draft carb sitting under the intake manifold and vapor lock was common,at least on the baler engines .Damned dumb place to to put it IMO .

Yup, last owner also modified the engine shade by cutting a hole and running the muffler through the top. Originally the muffler was under the shade, which kept all the heat right there on the engine (and the carb). Now it still has shade but the hot exhaust is routed above.

On a side note, a buddy of mine called me this afternoon because he knows the owner of the shop that is building my chipper box and he stopped by and saw my truck. He said it looked really nice, even with the box painted pink (I never specified what color I wanted it painted). After a good laugh he said it looked really sharp. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the morning when I pick it up.

Probably my best "horse trading " involved a 31 HP baler engine .I bought the baler at an auction with a stuck engine for 65 bucks .Got it running and traded it off about 6 years later for a 1972 Harley Sportster chopper,straight up,even Steven .
Kept the "Widow maker" about 10 years and sold it for two grand before it killed me .

Got my chip truck back from the fabricator first thing this morning. Paint was still tacky but we went to work anyway. Everything is very well designed and the quality is top notch. He built and installed the bed cap, built and installed the double gates and built/installed brackets to mount the toolboxes under the bed. Ran me almost $3K which was a bit more than the estimate but I'm super pleased with the truck. Tomorrow I will adjust the trailer hitch to shoot the chips a little bit higher.

Attachments

• IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 48
Dude.

I love the set up.

You're cruising now!

Might need a bigger fishing boat soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Looking great. Why the shorter box than bed?

$3k sounds like a chunk, but quality isn't cheap. A local guy paid $15k for a custom bed/ hoist/box to fit his F550. That sounded spendy, but again, quality, custom work is spendy.

The shorter box is so we can load logs or whatever if necessary. You never fill the box up all the way to the back anyway. Although I'm already thinking of adding corner pieces at the back of the box to hold a few more chips without spilling over the sides.

Also notice the heavy duty gate latches with built in slop so they will still work in 5 years after the sides of the bed get bumped and bent. Super easy to open and close and no holes to pack with chips and keep you from latching the doors.

I like to have plywood on hand, for lack of a full height back door (standard Southco door), I've put two pieces small pieces in the back to extend the door upward in a MAXIMUM load in a pinch. I'd rather have a metal door for it, but the plywood is almost free, easy, and could save getting pulled over for a loose load if things are blowing out the back from turbulance on the highway. Normally, they are just stored away.

Maybe hinged extensions would be easy, on hand, and out of the way.

What are you considering?

Are both bucket trucks material handlers, and both over 26000#?

If you don't mind checking Brian, how for do the hooks stick out on the sides and what size Dee's on the tail gates? Curious because those seem almost idiot proof and allow for a bit of wear and tear adjustability.

Rich, the hooks are 1/2" rod and stick out 1.5" from the sides of the bed. D rings are 1.5"x2.5" inside dimensions. Latches are 3/4" rod.

Sean, the corner pieces I was considering are nothing major, and could easily be cut from plywood and screwed to the inside of the box. See attached pic.
Both bucket trucks have material handlers but the small truck is only rated for 20,500 lbs. The big one requires a CDL (and also the small one if I'm pulling the dump trailer).

Attachments

• IMG_0136modify.jpg
    IMG_0136modify.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 45
Back