Completely random but awesome knowledge

Does old spice burn less than ceelox? Not that I know. I’ve just been told it hurts more than the wound itself.

It probably wasn't completely torn.

Did it ball up at the bottom or the top of your upper arm?

I'm with Butch. It wasn't completely detached.

Butch's is detached at the top where there are 2 attachment points. Mine detached at the bottom where there is only one attachment. Frig that!!! I was mostly surprised that the bicep rolls the forearm way more than it serves to curl

Your radiobrachialis does a lot of the bending at the elbow. That's the big muscle at the thumb side/ radius bone side of the forearm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I forgot i was supposed to post a pic about a boiler hitch, so I'm forever late doing this. A boiler hitch is supposedly "banned" from commercial and industrial rigging because you are bending a chain and or hook which reduces its rating, but in practice it is an amazing trick. At the early part of my career (14 years ago) this was the suggested way to rig a chain fall if the mouse was broken in power plants, so it's actually quite safe. If you have a grab hook rather than a sliding hook it still works just as well, as it mainly forces the hook in the proper orientation regardless of line pull. Since it is directional, you need to pay attention to the direction of the line pull and never pull across the hook. With a half hitch above it you can lift pipe straight up, although a clamp or ears welded on is safer. You also might need a glove (chunk of leather) or a piece of wood to act as a softener, to allow the chain to dig in and increase surface area and friction. Anyways, here's a pic of the simple knot, i did it with a strap come along but it still shows the basic idea. It is basically a cow's hitch (aka simple choke) with the hook looking out and clipped onto the bight. This forces the back (spine) of the hook against the object, almost eliminating the chance of bad loading or slippage, while making a choking hitch that will allow most of the strength of the chain. It is usually used with a chain fall, so you can lift all the way to the bottom of the body making as much use out of limited headroom. Works great for pulling fence posts too ;)

20190918_132251.jpg

No, that's a boiler hitch lol. No kidding, it was taught in the apprenticeship and is used a bunch :/: Knowing the ins and outs of it is what makes it useful, and is the only secure easy i know of how to choke a logging chain on a fence post and have it grip everytime.

That won't work with a grab hook tho (I'm talking metal round fence posts, and adding a leather glove under it really helps it bite).... this will. Like i said, it used to be /is taught in construction rigging, and it has its definite uses. Incredibly simple, but useful. Your mileage may vary, but it loads the hook far less than a simple choke does, and retains more of the capacity of the chain.

Ah I thought we were talking wooden fence posts, derp

Back