HUNTING 2017

my dads friend who is a rancher, in his holistic management org. has a great presentation about jow he discovered that he could shoot coyotes endlessly and another would just pop up. so he stopped and he ended up with one coyote family who with the help of the ranch dog became respectful of the "rules" and also kept all other coyotes out. He ended up having much less problems. there is some science that backs this up as well. killing a coyote is kind of like topping a tree, 6 more low quality loner coyotes will immediately fill the void. what is preferable is to have one family structure that keeps the population stable based on territory. noone has ever succeeded killing the coyotes out
Local farm did the same thing. They have a big friggin dog too. Easier to train one family vs constant new ones I’m sure.

Nice article, Kevin.

I've seen the same said about mountain lions and elephants.

Our little problem here is that we are having quite the abundance of coyote of late. A couple of good rain years does it. More things to eat.
We also have a bounty of deer, turkey, quail, rodents. Things coyote would typically eat. But......
What we humans here did was present opportunity to them. Much easier to catch a fenced in critter than a wild one.
But since we have an abundance of Coyotes, harder to train them to stay out with several families competing for the easy to catch ones. This year has gone better thanks to Sally (boarder collie). She, backed with the other two and occasionally a third Pyrenees/Akbash,is seemingly more effective. A more organized defense. She heads the defense, the others fall in like soldiers.

Butchered the little buck today, man does it take time! Quartered it last evening, cut and packaged today. Enjoyable job but I felt cross-eyed by the time I finished.

Good stuff, Sven. 8) :drink:

I remember awhile back, I had a heckuva woodsman from ME working for me, his name was Andy from Silver Spring, ME. He was hugely into hunting and one morning he arrived at work and said he shot a deer that morning, twas still out in the woods. So we went to the job and did enough to get it rolling then I stayed and he went with my pick up and retrieved the deer. Later, when he was gutting it, my memory is of his short and burly frame halfway into that deer, arms bloody up to his shoulders, big grin on his face. I remember thinking, holy sheeit, dude was Meant For This. Fooking Good Shit

Last edited:
Butchered the little buck today, man does it take time! Quartered it last evening, cut and packaged today. Enjoyable job but I felt cross-eyed by the time I finished.
Check this video out when you have a few minutes...this butcher is amazingly fast breaking down a deer. I've tried to incorporate some of his techniques to save some time.

Getting to the point I'm pretty much "over" deer season.....don't get me wrong, it doesn't bother me if I don't get a deer. There is a reason it's called hunting instead of killing.

Just let me see/watch some while I'm out there. Going crazy sitting there not seeing a damn thing.

Ed

yup, been there and done that many times. I think a fellow just needs to enjoy their time outdoors and watching what comes by. Keep at it as long as you still find it enjoyable.

Wow Ed, I clicked on your bio, you've been here at the House long time! :rockhard:

Your use of "splattered" caught my attention, if you're angry at them why is that?

Back