Instagram

The way he went about that almost makes me sorry it didn't get him.

It’s a cool concept. The Chinese are doing this as well. I believe you need a 4 or 5 G network to make it possible though so not for all areas.

It's a horrible idea, only an engineer would think it's smart to have someone driving a 120 ton machine around from across the world, meanwhile everyone runs for their lives on the jobsite.

The remote earth moving idea is good for dangerous situations though where the operator is out of harms way. I used a remote control compactor in deep plumbing trenches to avoid collapse exposure.

I get that, but a dozer or hoe costs a bit more than a trench compactor, and is gonna be used in different situations. And that's not how that technology will be implemented, sure it'll start for dangerous stuff and then foreign countries, and then before you know it you are working under a robot being driven by a dude in Texas (and then likely overseas) factory for 10 bucks an hour, all connected with a cell phone. Operators have a hard enough job when they're right there and are extremely skilled and qualified, not to mention the fact that he's right there with us when shit hits the fan.

Yeah, the op has a lot more invested when they are sitting in the ejector seat, so to speak.
I know in Australia, for many years now, they have had remote D11s for reclaiming mining sites with underground tunnels. I wouldn't want to work around a crane with a remote operator.

The remote operator has only part of the view ( like what you can say about a pic vs the real thing). The brains can "see" a lot more things when he process the data himself. More, even if there's some feedback on the controls, the operator can't feel the machine as in person. He lacks many informations which a skilled operator lives with without thinking of them, like the machine is part of him (or the contrary).

Back