Instagram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The heat on the remote. The lady is his helper, possibly his wife. It's a confirmation that she adjusted the heat, and where he's at on the remote, because the arc characteristics change with remote action as well as the heat.

:O8)

You think he's been doing it longer than you or, like most things, he's got unusual talent with it, together with experience and drive?

He's been doing that particular kind of work longer than me, if not his whole career. I'm sure I got him beat on other stuff, but what he's doing is the highest paid construction job there is. There are approximately 20 thousand people in the entire U.S. that do that exact work, and they are paid about the same as a doctor. Everything you do for hire is boring at times, that's why it's work. But yes it can be miserable, hot, dirty, painful work. I'm pretty sure that particular guy is in Canada, judging by the sugar scoop hood, particular stinger, and pictures of welding rigs in his videos. He is making it look way easier than what it is, that's for sure. Everything he touches will be 100% x Ray, and he will lose his job if he makes a couple mistakes, and is probably working 7 12s for months at a time. And he is living on the road, which sucks.

Great posts as usual, Kyle.

Working 7 12's for months straight?? Seriously? How does a body handle that, even given the mega bucks?

Lol not very well. You kinda become a zombie machine, and attention to detail and safety are actually best to be consciously focused on. Longest day I've pulled was about 30 hours once in a repair. Longest run I've done is about 3 months straight (12s) in a fab shop, absolutely brutal. To make matters worse I was an apprentice at the time, so I didn't make shit :( They are laid off at the end of the job, and they don't know when the next one is usually. Kinda like make hay when the sun's shining type thing. Feast and famine, same story for most construction workers. However, overtime seems to much more prevalent on pipeline jobs, I guess because everyone is on the road away from home, and the companies want the job done as soon as humanly possible, because of the efficiencies of pipeline transfer. You hear about the few leaks and stuff, but the amount transferred safely is almost incomprehensible. Rail, tanker, and truck aren't even close to safety, energy consumption, and cost. Typical work week (what most consider 40 hours) is probably 6 10s. Anything less is considered part time in that world lol

Interesting, especially about the efficiencies of pipeline transport, makes sense.

Yeah but think about the linemen after a storm. Those guys pull some ridiculous hours too, working round the clock working to get power on, doing storm work around wires. Nurses here at least work 12 hour shifts as a normal work day, and sometimes are forced to stay over during snow events. I don't even want to think about the hours offshore fishing, hell don't those crab guys sleep like a couple hours a day? It's all relative I guess, just kinda depends on the task at hand.

Ok, I'm not a lineman but from casual observation those guys never ever look like they are working hard or intensely, it's always one or two doing some work, 3 or 4 watching them. Of course it is potentially deadly work but the apparent leisurely approach to it must make it much more bearable to put in long hours.

Good call Cory, never thought of it like that. I wonder if the ground guys are there for safety reasons, kinda like a fire watching but electrical or something. That would explain the extra trucks too. Working alone doing certain jobs is becoming more and more rare, which is a good thing. Working alone has led to many fatalities that could have been just accidents in industrial settings

Knot the same!

Funny-Baby-Looking-At-Camera-With-Twisting-Eyes-Picture.jpg

Good call Cory, never thought of it like that. I wonder if the ground guys are there for safety reasons, kinda like a fire watching but electrical or something. That would explain the extra trucks too. Working alone doing certain jobs is becoming more and more rare, which is a good thing. Working alone has led to many fatalities that could have been just accidents in industrial settings

I hadn't thought of that, makes sense. Of course the ratio of workers to watchers is still outta wack even so.

Back