Get me up to speed on the best saws of today

Were you saying (over in yonder thread) your annual budget was only $2K for saws, bars & chain? That figure sounded surprisingly low, given the logging application; we've about matched that this year doing our residential arb work (2 saws, 3 bars, 2 spools of skip chain, and a few chain loops along the way puts us close to that).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know we got only $600-$1000 in bars and chains this year (6x 14" chains, 2x 36", 2x28", 5x 14" bars, sprockets...) well an MS150 too. Plus parts and stuff. I guess we ran up near $2000, but we lost like $400 of chains in a tool box that was misplaced, and we haven't needed them, so I'd count that off.

Were you saying (over in yonder thread) your annual budget was only $2K for saws, bars & chain? That figure sounded surprisingly low, given the logging application; we've about matched that this year doing our residential arb work (2 saws, 3 bars, 2 spools of skip chain, and a few chain loops along the way puts us close to that).

Jeez, no.
I don't know what I said that made you come up with that figure.

More like 5 times that.

Bumper spikes are good, even on a small saw. Helps hold an awkward angle to keep cutting straight, not twisting in the cut minorly, robbing power, heating up.

A framing hammer can tap lightly.

You can bog down an ms880 if you try.

Any of you guys running the ms261 with m-tronic?
I think my mind is already made up, but wondering if there's any negatives about it at all.

I got an ms261cm a few years ago with a 16" bar and it is my favorite chainsaw to use... lightweight vs. power
It takes 3 pulls to start it cold almost every time.

The only problem is that for several months it tends to conk out after a half tank of gas or so, especially when I put the chain brake on (e.g. to walk to the next limb to cut).

I've checked the filter and I use aviation fuel for gas so I know it isn't the ethanol.

I don't *think* it is the m-tronics

But so far I just deal with the slight nuisance.

Yes Stig my 462 has the 20" elight bar...they sold it to me with the regular one, so I traded it asap. Bars last me a loong time :)

Likewise... I got a 28" that's 15 years old and still has lots of paint left.
I baby my longer bars though and like dumping excessive amounts of oil on there when alaping stumps.

Something in my brain equates " light weight bar" with " light duty" . Not the case?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can make a light weight core bar with hard rails. Sugihara is supposed to be one of the most durable from what I've heard.

I figure way more than necessary resetting of the dogs and leaving out in the elements to rust contributes to early paint wear, but heat is definitely the #1 cause. Run plenty of oil, and always a good sharp chain to avoid cooking the paint off.

Bumper spikes are good, even on a small saw. Helps hold an awkward angle to keep cutting straight, not twisting in the cut minorly, robbing power, heating up.

A framing hammer can tap lightly.

You can bog down an ms880 if you try.

I have to try pretty hard to bog down my3120. Those big boys don't like to slow down even when leaned on, hell, stood on.

I dawged this woods ported 3120 with fully adjustable carb, unlimited coil, 404 in a log resetting it for owner after installing a v-stack set up.

Cant stand stock 3120 air filter systems. Wish they would do a HD like on 395 372 385 etc.

The foam oem filter was better then the flocked oem one on this one till VS was installed.

I dawged it in hard in some dry ash buried and couldn't bring this one down. He runs 48" to 60" most times on this one.
Used 36" tuning.

h3120vst.jpg h3120vstt.jpg

That looks badass.
How's she do if it starts raining?
Maybe dumb question, but I'm not familiar with filters like that.

Something in my brain equates " light weight bar" with " light duty" . Not the case?

We've been using them for the 7 months of logging we've put in this year.
I honestly can't say that they wear out faster ( Or slower)

another vote for the MS462 - awesome saw, power to weight is unbelievable. Pulls a 25" bar with authority in our Australian Hardwoods.

another vote for the MS462 - awesome saw, power to weight is unbelievable. Pulls a 25" bar with authority in our Australian Hardwoods.

Oh yeah baby ! Oh yeah ! You should try a 462c on steroids , you’ll never go back to a stocker again lol

What is the decibel level on your steroided 462?

Thanks for the warm welcome fellows - from the little I've seen its a great forum.

Back