But I'm not dead yet ... Age and climbing

two years outta trees for me. Don't miss the madness. I still climb.....just not wood. Been riding my bike average of hundred miles a week. Back has never felt better since I don't lug a saw around. I especially don't miss the wheeling and dealing to try and get work.

One other thing.....since being out, nothing has really changed here. Still see a new tree guy every week or so. Still see same old characters "beating the system'

For me making a change was more about being stagnant. Didn't feel like anything was new. In the past two years I have learned a tremendous amount. Aint gonna stop.

The one thing I do miss is some of my tree guy friends.......seems like I aint with the cool kids no mo'.

I truly believe one can climb as long as they want if they listen to their body. Unfortunately production tree work could give a shit if you aint paying the bills

Nice to see you back, Bouncer.

Tell us more about your biz and how its going. Thanks.

Homer+Simpson+D%27oh.gif

I dont consider a nursing home to be much of an option at all.

Its 5000 a month to "live" in our nursing home. Screw that, if I have any money left, and cant find an ice berg big enough to hold me, I am going to have an accident and let my kids have the money.

I have spent many, many years around nursing homes.....thats enough for me.

Not saying some people dont fit right in....its a good option for some people. Just strikes me as a goddamn expensive ware house for old people.
AMEN Brother!!!!!!!!!!!

It probably would be a lot better at those nursing homes if family members might consider paying a visit to their loved one every once in a blue moon. :( Especially the ones getting the inheritance.

I visited my Mother every day. I might have missed 2 or 3 visits in the couple years she was in one.

I always told her "If I don't stop by one afternoon, don't worry! It will never be two in a row!"

And it never was.

I was pretty good on getting in to be with my momma, too. Plus all the financial, medical appointments, clothes, and other needs of daily life, etc. No way she was abandoned, trust me...I have the emotional bruises to show for it.

Emotional bruises.......good way of putting it.

I can see that in my mother. She tended her mother for 30 years, in one way or another. Her father was in the nursing home for 10 years and her mother was in for several years too.

She had stated that she will not be going to the home.

The damnedest part of it, in thinking I'd never want to be in one of those senior care homes...those people earning not much over minimum wage, who had to put up with my mother's bitchiness and abusive shenanigans for years...many of them came to her bedside as she was in her last days after her stroke, hugging her, crying over her, loving her.

Those are some kind of very special people, and if any one of us needs that type of care in our last days, I say it might not be too bad, and seeing how uncaring sometimes family members can be; might be the sweetest thing an oldster gets.

That's true, Butch. If the caregivers know someone is in there regularly and paying attention, better care is usually the result.

The damnedest part of it, in thinking I'd never want to be in one of those senior care homes...those people earning not much over minimum wage, who had to put up with my mother's bitchiness and abusive shenanigans for years...many of them came to her bedside as she was in her last days after her stroke, hugging her, crying over her, loving her.

Those are some kind of very special people, and if any one of us needs that type of care in our last days, I say it might not be too bad, and seeing how uncaring sometimes family members can be; might be the sweetest thing an oldster gets.

Yes, agreed B, those carers on minimum wage are something else. Doing a difficult job I couldn't do for a fraction of my money.

My hubby's mum had a stroke, right side paralyzed.. we took care of her in house for a month before the family could arrange for her to get back to Canada where she was from into a good home in her hometown. I have MUCH respect for those aged care workers who have a vocation for their job, to remain caring and considerate in very trying circumstances.

When I go to physio for my shoulder, they all are amazed at how far along I came so quickly, being fit (and motivated) is crucial, at 6 weeks they were telling me they had people at 12 weeks who were not even doing what I was, so stay FIT young'uns...am I allowed to say than now I've passed 50? Also all the dire predictions of awful pain did not eventuate, sure it was sore but not what they had set me up to believe it would be!

I working a Nursing Home for a week as maintenance and I met a German woman that could not speak English and had no family there. I spoke German and talked to her. She died that week and I quit. Couldn't be around that I lost both of my parents and my best friend in a matter of a few years. I have a very hard time dealing with death. I will never go to a home.NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ted

Religion gets in the way of death with dignity.

My dad was ready to go years, maybe a decade, before he finally did, as a result of Parkinsons/ Multiple Systems Disorder (or some variation toward the end).

Funny how so many here speak in absolutes. Even Darwin recanted on his death bed.

I wonder why?

I suspect there's good reason folks cling to life so tenaciously meself.

Marcus Aurelius said it best IMHO, a long long time ago.

Remember that man lives only in the present, in this fleeting instant; all the rest of his life is either past and gone, or not yet revealed. Short, therefore, is man's life, and narrow is the corner of the earth wherein he dwells.

Jomo

Back