Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: But I'm not dead yet ... Age and climbing

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    I finally had to give in to the fact my knees (among other things) were going at 56, I could produce the work while aloft, but getting there became an obstacle I wasn't surmounting well...I feel 10 years younger since i've been not climbing daily now. I'm finding the golf course work and reduced hours much better impact-wise.
    Get yourself a set of the ergonomic carbon fiber motoX knee braces Fidd.

They've kept me climbin a couple extra decades now, and at 7 bills relatively cheap.

Of course it takes me about an hour in the phone booth to transition into superman these days!

Jomo

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighterZero View Post
    Make sure youse guys are working at 65 because you want too, not because you have too.

Break my heart.
    I have no intention of retiring before they carry me out of the woods.
    I like my work, always have.
    I'd rather wear myself out working than end up like my dad, who didn't know what to do with himself once he retired.
    Ended up disappearing into a bottle.

Being able to go on logging and climbing at my age means learning to live with a certain amount of pain.
    I'm ok with that. One can get used to a lot of things.
    I suffer from arthritis in my left knee, badly.
    That will most likely be what forces me to give up working.
    Deyr fÚ,
    deyja frŠndr,
    deyr sjalfr it sama,
    ek veit einn,
    at aldrei deyr:
    dˇmr um dau­an hvern.

Wasn't a "knee problem" in that sense Jomo...more like I just flat lost the power in my legs to climb...all my joints used to let me know they were there pretty consistently...I think a lot of inflammation might have settled down...

I rarely miss tree work. I loved it, but I have other things I like doing as well and can spend more time on them now...like auditioning for a full time job as a second fiddle player with a band down in North Carolina...never would have considered it when I was running a business.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. -Steven Wright

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Unless I can somehow live off my SS check, I expect I'll be working in some capacity until the bitter end.

No biggie... I ain't gonna cry about it. A lot of people have a better Life than me, but... on the other hand, many are struggling to even have food or a roof over their heads.

It is what it is.

I hate that phrase, lol.

Once after an on the job injury on Ski Patrol , I was told " after the age of thirty when an injury involves a joint , you will have a lifelong ailment" ...Might just be aches and pains , or worse.

I pick my jobs and only do tree work when I want to now, usually 2-3 days a week. There are too many fish in the Gulf to work full time.
    Ray
    In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. - Galileo

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. -Steven Wright

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

56 and pretty much shit hurts from all the things I've ever done in my life. Still Killin it so long as I can climb. Just scale back as I age. Work smarter, not harder. SRT, WRAPTOR, and hydraulics. Stripped out on zip line, a 100 or so and a 150 foot tree today in 5 hours. I'll take it.
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSmith View Post
    Just turned 61. Except for a bad heart valve, high blood pressure and every bone in my body feeling like I've been in a train wreck I'm still a cherry. /
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

Quote Originally Posted by CurSedVoyce View Post
    56 and pretty much shit hurts from all the things I've ever done in my life. Still Killin it so long as I can climb. Just scale back as I age. Work smarter, not harder. SRT, WRAPTOR, and hydraulics. Stripped out on zip line, a 100 or so and a 150 foot tree today in 5 hours. I'll take it.
    If that's scaling back, you were a beast in your prime Stephen!
    Ray
    In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. - Galileo