Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: But I'm not dead yet ... Age and climbing

Default But I'm not dead yet ... Age and climbing

When to quit ... In my Ski Patrol work some of the guys skied tobbogans (patient's life completely in your hands) well into their seventies. Tree climbing is so physically demanding and none of us will last forever. Seems in the big outfits I've met alot of Climbers who hit fifty and went to sales as they weren't comfortable aloft anymore. Personally seen fifty come and go years back and I still climb. I may not love every second of it but still git er done.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

You outta put your age in your profile... everyone should.

I was strong at 50 but around 55 or 56 my body just started breaking down and if I kept going like I was I would soon be crippled.

I wish I could still do treework...

Hate to keep track really , but some quick math says due North of 56. Some jobs I never get off the ground at all , some all off the ground. Definitely don't have to climb every day or in supershitty weather. (Though emergency work I will)

My experience is something like Butch reports. At 45 I was better than I had ever been or would be, as a climber. At 50 I was still stronger and more productive than nearly any climber I crossed paths with. But somewhere there in the next 5 or 6 years, breakdowns in capability became obvious to me...though I still got plenty of tree people saying I hadn't lost a step, and not many much younger climbers kept up. But trouble with both shoulders and elbows, some back pain on occasion, many a little niggling thing crept in.

The real killer was the hip joint failure. At 50 it was just beginning to hurt on occasion. Within just a couple of years it was a constant issue, completely compromising my movement, both aloft and on the ground. It murdered my work, my recreation, my love life, my self esteem.

I finally had that mofo cut out and replaced with titanium, cobalt chrome, and cross-linked polyethylene at 58, and a year later, maybe 18 months, I was a new man. Five years on, still amazed at the change in quality of life this seemingly simple thing has wrought.

So sometimes you can turn the clock back, with the right medical intervention.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

though I still got plenty of tree people saying I hadn't lost a step,
    But they weren't feeling what YOU were feeling, eh!

That's cool, you older guys still hard at it. Gives me something to look up to, something to shoot for. Never give up... but I got a few years still before I get old.

Keep telling yourself that, Buddy .
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Interesting conversation guys.

I'm glad to hear all of it. That there's longevity in this work, and that your new hip helped you so much Mr. B.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
    ~Vernon Law

Sam

MI-4209A

Captain Zero! Sponsor FireFighterZero's Avatar

Make sure youse guys are working at 65 because you want too, not because you have too.

Break my heart.
    There are but two seasons. Winter, and preparing for winter.
    Jim

Levi

Amen!