But I'm not dead yet ... Age and climbing

Love the work in that Tehune vid. Systematic. Like a professional mover, paid to move things without wrecking the place.

Thanks August, but if we started with "plan A', we were getting through the alphabet by the time it was done. No bows were taken until the beer slid down, end of day 3.

I remember seeing that Tahune tree before it got cut down...and then visiting it after (having seen the video) and thinking...wow, bloody wow.

Don't worry until the top was off at the start of day 3, I was thinking a similar quote but not using the "wow" word.

Graeme, the Tahune vid needless to say is one for the ages.

Could you shed some light on the following vid- it seems there are at least 2 edits of it out there. 1 shows you wraptoring up and topping a monster euc, all set to "House of the Rising Sun" music, the overall effect of which is simply and utterly epic. And the version attached below skips all the motorized ascending as well as the music but gives greater detail on the topping/felling process, which is great to see. To combine them both would be superb in my opinion.

Prior to making the back cut, you nip the sides but do it below your double lanyard, I've only ever done, and seen, sides nipped above one's tie-in point and pretty close to the area of the face and impending back cut, can you elaborate on your thinking there re nipping the sides way below the main cuts? Many thanks!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h1t_lPilpl4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Graeme, the Tahune vid needless to say is one for the ages.

Could you shed some light on the following vid- it seems there are at least 2 edits of it out there. 1 shows you wraptoring up and topping a monster euc, all set to "House of the Rising Sun" music, the overall effect of which is simply and utterly epic. And the version attached below skips all the motorized ascending as well as the music but gives greater detail on the topping/felling process, which is great to see. To combine them both would be superb in my opinion.

Prior to making the back cut, you nip the sides but do it below your double lanyard, I've only ever done, and seen, sides nipped above one's tie-in point and pretty close to the area of the face and impending back cut, can you elaborate on your thinking there re nipping the sides way below the main cuts? Many thanks!

The first one was short to demonstrate "scotty" and letting a top go. I didn't put it together but is great music. I think there were some questions about the sequence of cutting and the second video has more long winded chain sawing. (groan)
The cuts put below are to reduce the likelihood of bark and sometimes sap wood tearing down the trunk. These are not "wing cuts". In many of the hardwoods here if you apply these near the point of cut the hinge loses control especially with side lean. Some arborist trainers here are training to use them near the point of cut when felling sections and it is dangerous.
When the section has no side lean you put them in about twice the trunk diameter below the cut. If the section has side lean, it can still pull out the fibres on the high side of the hinge. On large diameter cuts I sometimes spur down 6 - 8' to be below the action. On that video you will see the bark tear down to the safety cut.

Regards

Hey thank you for the detailed response. Its nice to get info on a cutting practice that Ive never seen before.

That airwalk tree, with a helmet can and and internal dialogue monitor... What a different perspective that would be.

Would you shed some light? Seeing a video and reading the title, you know before it starts, it's going to be a "happy ending".

The internal viewpoint from leaving the ground for the start of the project, never having been to the top of the tree, sinking of the first spur, first big loading on the rigging or large piece released... That's a different world.

Every mountain is easier, after the first ascent AND descent.

I record very few of tree events like Tahune (good when it happens though). Some of the tasks that our small team take on have no room for that distraction. We have no "deadwood" in the crew and too much talk can get in the way.
If you look at the last block being pulled off you can see the trunk movement despite being braced for recoil. Verbal narration of how I was feeling regarding the movement up higher wouldn't have done it justice or be suitable for general viewing.

For sure...I can relate, though the scale of the treework that generated my "exclamations" usually pales in comparison :).

I just joined this forum and this thread caught my attention. Though I haven't yet read all the threads.
I've been climbing my whole life. I'm 60 years old now. Last few years I've been working some big projects in No. Calif. I'm normally the oldest guy out there and specialize in hazardous removals. I'm hoping to get at least 5 more years in since it's only been recently I've been making some serious money.
Don't let age catch up to you. The secret I beleave is don't stop. It helps to if you love what you do.

Welcome to the TreeHouse, brother! Gotta first name? Mine is Butch... make yourself at home!

Be aware that the accident stats on older climbers don't look good.

Trust me, at 65 no matter what you are doing you are more likely to die than a younger person. :)

Reactions: Jed
Back