But I'm not dead yet ... Age and climbing

I’m with Butch, its alright coming out with the mantra that you MUST keep going to keep going, but if you can’t, if it hurts too much and you have to stop, then that what you must do.

Pain is the body's form of communication that something you're doing is not right for it. It's not the final word in the conversation, just information.

I am shy, and, age is not my thing/focus. Not sure why, just isn't.

So many things that people think are age dependent, when you look into it, need not be.

Pete Egoscue's whole concept is "health through motion" -- he preaches that the body is an integrated motion machine. Most physical conditions and postural dysfunctions are caused by lack of motion combined with negative compensating motion. I'm cribbing some of the better concepts and techniques (which in turn come from Yoga, but without the strong Eastern influence), and it helps me stay supple, fluid and functional despite a prior catastrophic injury. Sure helps me do this tree stuff! Well worth the 30 min a day!

What books or info of Pete's have you read? I read Pain Free, and bits of Pain Free at Your PC. Did 8 training sessions with one of his affiliates. Only reason I got away from using his exercises was for time savings and to do easier movements that accomplish most of what I want to on a day by day basis.

I want to step my game up a notch or few and may do more of his program for a time - it gets results.

Also considering looking into the MoveYou guys info off Instagram.

PS - I used to tease my wife by arguing that Pete was the real inventor of some movement that was obviously from Yoga 3000 years ago but he calls an "E cise". LOL, we all gotta feel special somehow.

I couldnt find that IG site MoveYou, got any more info on it? Thanks

Thx Steve.

Unless that guy can teach me to actually levitate, then no.

I would roughly say that Somatics is fantastic for getting out of immediate pain and loosening the muscles which when too tight lead to a host of problems. And I see that result in realignment of the joints to a large degree.

To proactively go after joint misalignment that is cronic I would say that Egoscue or something else could be called for. (When we stand and as we walk a plumb line should bisect out ear hole, shoulder joint, elbow, wrist, hip, knee and ankle from the side. From the front it should bisect us from head to toe with symmetry on each side as we stand and walk. Thumbs if pointing, and feet, would naturally aim straight ahead.)

What books or info of Pete's have you read? I read Pain Free, and bits of Pain Free at Your PC. Did 8 training sessions with one of his affiliates. Only reason I got away from using his exercises was for time savings and to do easier movements that accomplish most of what I want to on a day by day basis. I want to step my game up a notch or few and may do more of his program for a time - it gets results.
I've read the original Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion, Pain Free, and Pain Free at Your PC -- also have the Posture Solutions DVD. Then I switch to more bodyweight repertoires when I am feeling good enough -- Matt Furey's flexibility and conditioning stuff, and Ross Enamait's bodyweight and dumbbell menus when I'm more ambitious. I also have GSP's Rushfit DVDs, but haven't gotten to a baseline level with my ankles and feet to be able to attempt those yet.

You outta put your age in your profile... everyone should.

I was strong at 50 but around 55 or 56 my body just started breaking down and if I kept going like I was I would soon be crippled.

I wish I could still do treework...

That's a good idea Butch.

But I would especially like to know what you like to drink !!

For me, it's IPA's ... Merlot & Pinot Noir ... Jack Daniels

Not sure if I posted in this thread before. But I can tell I'm aging. But I seem to feel older until I actually get to pruning, then I feel up to speed while working. Then going home I feel the need to recuperate. Seems like the actual working hours are the least painful ... LOL

I’m ok at the moment, I try to take steps to lengthen my climbing life.

Loader, so less heavy lifting, better chipper so less effort getting the stuff processed and putting a few extra quid on a job to pay for another pair of hands, just got the little Echo for my wrists which is a tiny little gem if a saw.

My back is good recently, but I’m very careful with it.

Just got to get to 60 I reckon....

I hear you about the work being the least painful! But Drs do say if you have a bit of 'arthur' to keep moving.
I've been taking a magnesium tablet in the evening, and anecdotally I seem to sleep better and less aches in the morning, combine that with my mainly wheat free diet...at the moment you could say I'm 'maintaining course and speed'.
Definitely less pain and stiffness than before ditching wheat, definitely.

"Maintaining course and speed"...there's the be-all and end-all for us more experienced treefolk, eh? Well said, Fiona my friend.

Give me a hand

Ouch. Did a bunch of stump grinding Monday and could tell in my hands that the operating of the levers was very hard on the hands. Maybe very noticeable after being away in Florida for 10 days and then coming back to it. But I've had bouts where my hands would spasm and go into a clench -- like a charley horse of the hands. I think I tend to grip the chip truck steering wheel too hard as well, but I'm making a conscious effort to relax the hands while driving. But it's automatic to grip like crazy driving through Kansas City in-town traffic. Have to be ready for a split second defensive maneuver.

I have some measure of instant relief doing the Wanderlei Silva hand roll:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pLh_O4RyuB8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back