Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: But I'm not dead yet ... Age and climbing

TreeHouser Sponsor

I would roughly say that Somatics is fantastic for getting out of immediate pain and loosening the muscles which when too tight lead to a host of problems. And I see that result in realignment of the joints to a large degree.

To proactively go after joint misalignment that is cronic I would say that Egoscue or something else could be called for. (When we stand and as we walk a plumb line should bisect out ear hole, shoulder joint, elbow, wrist, hip, knee and ankle from the side. From the front it should bisect us from head to toe with symmetry on each side as we stand and walk. Thumbs if pointing, and feet, would naturally aim straight ahead.)

General Purpose Sponsor Stumpshot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merle Nelson View Post
    What books or info of Pete's have you read? I read Pain Free, and bits of Pain Free at Your PC. Did 8 training sessions with one of his affiliates. Only reason I got away from using his exercises was for time savings and to do easier movements that accomplish most of what I want to on a day by day basis. I want to step my game up a notch or few and may do more of his program for a time - it gets results.
    I've read the original Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion, Pain Free, and Pain Free at Your PC -- also have the Posture Solutions DVD. Then I switch to more bodyweight repertoires when I am feeling good enough -- Matt Furey's flexibility and conditioning stuff, and Ross Enamait's bodyweight and dumbbell menus when I'm more ambitious. I also have GSP's Rushfit DVDs, but haven't gotten to a baseline level with my ankles and feet to be able to attempt those yet.

TreeHouser Sponsor

Ahh, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
    You outta put your age in your profile... everyone should.

I was strong at 50 but around 55 or 56 my body just started breaking down and if I kept going like I was I would soon be crippled.

I wish I could still do treework...
    That's a good idea Butch.

But I would especially like to know what you like to drink !!

For me, it's IPA's ... Merlot & Pinot Noir ... Jack Daniels

Not sure if I posted in this thread before. But I can tell I'm aging. But I seem to feel older until I actually get to pruning, then I feel up to speed while working. Then going home I feel the need to recuperate. Seems like the actual working hours are the least painful ... LOL

I’m ok at the moment, I try to take steps to lengthen my climbing life.

Loader, so less heavy lifting, better chipper so less effort getting the stuff processed and putting a few extra quid on a job to pay for another pair of hands, just got the little Echo for my wrists which is a tiny little gem if a saw.

My back is good recently, but I’m very careful with it.

Just got to get to 60 I reckon....
    Iím condescending, that means I talk down to people.

Mick

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

I hear you about the work being the least painful! But Drs do say if you have a bit of 'arthur' to keep moving.
    I've been taking a magnesium tablet in the evening, and anecdotally I seem to sleep better and less aches in the morning, combine that with my mainly wheat free diet...at the moment you could say I'm 'maintaining course and speed'.
    Definitely less pain and stiffness than before ditching wheat, definitely.
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

"Maintaining course and speed"...there's the be-all and end-all for us more experienced treefolk, eh? Well said, Fiona my friend.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

old sailing jargon...works for trees as well.
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

Indeed.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."