But I'm not dead yet ... Age and climbing

Trust me, at 65 no matter what you are doing you are more likely to die than a younger person. :)

:)

I have known patriarchs of big tree companies still climbing at 65. If I recall correctly Don Blares father was still climbing two days a week at 82. (When he started they would wear overalls and have a coworker through a bucket of water on the front of them to have more friction when climbing the tree.)

Beastie do you have your own company or do you work for others? Eager to hear some of your experiences from the field. :drink:

Our main climber's father (& mentor) is 70. He worked for years for Davey, then helped start FK. He's still climbing and doing his own trees and for friends, just not professionally day in/day out. As stated, just don't stop!

Your choice or not, if you stop, you loose your ability so quickly that's disgusting. When I butchered my finger in 2017, I stayed put about 2 months to not take a chance with the skin and nail grafts. No tree, no chainsaw, even no homework. What a pity ! The first small job left me exhausted. I spur climbed a spar, only about 26', but at the top my legs were checking and were full of cramps back on the ground.
Eventually I came back on form, but now I see my father staying for most of the day (and days) in his armchair in front of his computer, sleeping here for hours too. He struggles with his legs in the stairs, walking or even only staying upright. I told him that he has to keep moving and working around the house, it's mandatory to maintain the body in an as good shape as possible. But no way, it's too easy to stay quiet, doing nothing physical and seeping the screen.
I can understand that easily enough but he's 82 now and I fear there will be no coming back now, only worser and worser.

I’m with Butch, its alright coming out with the mantra that you MUST keep going to keep going, but if you can’t, if it hurts too much and you have to stop, then that what you must do.

I knew my torn shoulders and arms/crippled hands were gonna bite my ass eventually, one day - so I wisely let it go.

Pete Egoscue's whole concept is "health through motion" -- he preaches that the body is an integrated motion machine. Most physical conditions and postural dysfunctions are caused by lack of motion combined with negative compensating motion. I'm cribbing some of the better concepts and techniques (which in turn come from Yoga, but without the strong Eastern influence), and it helps me stay supple, fluid and functional despite a prior catastrophic injury. Sure helps me do this tree stuff! Well worth the 30 min a day!

This is some of what I do to keep movement capabilities active and available:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oQPg5AG8zt8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gary, you are an abberation, a good one mind :)
But that looks really good for flexibility

I like the dumbbell routine from Never Gymless. Dumbbell swings are a bit like the clubs or kettlebell routines I've seen, mix in some alternating clean & press movements, bodyweight (hindu) squats, etc.

I’ve decided that the 12,16, and 24 ounce curls aren’t doing me any good. I’m cutting way back, getting up early, and just getting in some relax time with no one else awake. Feel much better.

Back