Shop Fabricated small stump grinder

The teeth are tiny too, so you need a fast rotation to make some measurable work in a reasonable time.

I’d like to try totally copying the design of the Alpine Magnum and have one built.
I’ve never seen one up close, but looks pretty simple, and aside from the cost of the power head should be a fraction of what they sell for. Hardest part might be fitting the belt drive pulley to the power head, and if I use a demolition/ concrete saw, that part is already done I think.

Advertised as 4800 rpms on the cutter head of the AM, while I’ve read the Vermeer sc252 is around 1100.
Not sure how accurate either of those are, but makes sense that you’ll see much faster speed coming from a biggish 2 stroke.

I know someone who made a copy, seems someone else did as well but not as good.

7920260.jpg

This was Tony's one, he sold a few then did a copy of the Stump Humper, his was a better grinder than the Humper I reckon. Sold them both to Red Roo and retired.

!CEjhFr!CGk~$(KGrHqUOKpoE0VRsee(QBNSOylTvT!~~_12.jpg !CEjhFrgCGk~$(KGrHqQOKjYE1BPqnQ,6BNSOylMGgw~~_12.jpg

They look great, thanks for showing those, Steve!
Looks like the larger demo saws are the way to go. Already set up to run a pulley.
Some nice ones always coming and going on Craigslist for cheap too.

I still wanna make one. I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled on the scrap dumpster at work for material.
Found a couple nice SK torque wrenches in 3/8 and 1/2” though. It’s retarded what they throw away here, absolutely stupid.

I used to check the John Deere dealers scrap bins. Hit the jackpot a few times, from tools to parts I could use. Must have been making too much money.

Sad when the owner went to sell JD would not let him sell it as a dealership. They want huge ones, not Mom and Pop ones. We used to have one 7 miles away, then 20, now 50. A lot to be said for smaller.

Back