Shop Fabricated small stump grinder

Well then, you could probably turn a good buck selling those! I paid 5500 for the alpine magnum...

Very cool!
The video was impressive, the craftsmanship even more so.

Is there something that tensions or loosens the belt? Do you just loosen the bolts holding the motor in place to adjust it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Sean! Still going strong.

Jonny, the grinding head slides forward to tension the belts. Thanks!

Edit: I did have to replace the engine. In my mind I thought running synthetic oil will make the engine work better. It didn't. I also had oil blowing out of the nreather, seems there is a return hole in the breather plate that drained oil back into the crank.case. I installed it upside down and it constantly blew oil out the breather.

I think I’m going to have a talk with my pro welder friend, and see about shamelessly stealing your design :D
I’ve been thinking about it for a while.
I’d like to use this little wheel, it’s called Blueshark, made for the little Toro 13hp.

09AD16AE-ECAB-4AB6-8D98-190ACA60B84F.jpeg

I wonder how much grinding wheels are worth upgrading for the average joe. I have 9 pocket mounts on my little grinder and just run 6 pockets.

If you put all 6 on one side, it really wallops the stump.

No, it doesn't. Just kidding. Two in a row, then a space.

Supposedly, the space between cutters lets the machine rebound a little bit more, or something.

For a little, cheap grinder, without any research, compared to paying someone to build it, I wonder about this one with a 3 year commercial warranty...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-K...ixUmaOfCkCapAutQ1dwaAhDIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or a small, used one TORO. https://www.ebay.com/i/223544693942...AYj3sVxe6qjpHRa0NkDjiMIUApS8odJQaAipMEALw_wcB

PA dealer that ships https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/grq/d/pottstown-2017-mini-toro-stump-grinder/6920060963.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks! If you can believe it, it is still working, holding together for the most part!

A few small screws that hold shields on are broke, I'd say not to go with anything less than 1/4" bolt.

I used to own one of these bastards, the Merry Mac. Nothing merry about it.
It was pretty awful. Made some bucks, and simple to maintain and repair, but once the teeth lost their edge just a little bit it was over until replaced or resharpened.

556EA448-BEA3-46C1-B7A8-4CDCA59C996B.jpeg

But he built it, and makes low risk money with it. Maybe if he builds another down the road he will start with a truck engine, but it seems to work just fine with his operation atm.

Lol true, I'm in the bigger is more better thinking with stump grinders, and the you can hire someone else for stumps mindset. But still man, he built it!! And he makes money with it. Not as fast or comfortable, but it's still profit. Maybe I've just done a bunch of painful stuff for money over the years :lol:

Yes, now that seems like torture, but I'm sure you can overcharge the hell out of it because you would only use it in horrible spots.

Exactly. All treecos should have them all - from the smallest to the largest, to handle any job.

Orrrrr, sub that shit OUT!

I can't get a big grinder to many spots that I have to grind. They are narrow enough, but long and heavy.

When I can sub it, 60 hp diesel eats!

Run whatcha brung!

Peter's skills, resourcefulness, and thriftiness are impressive.

Its been a long time since I've built anything. My head gets caught pruning it off, or cutting it down. How often do I use a measuring tape that isn't a log tape? 1/16" matters?? what??

I’d like to try totally copying the design of the Alpine Magnum and have one built.
I’ve never seen one up close, but looks pretty simple, and aside from the cost of the power head should be a fraction of what they sell for. Hardest part might be fitting the belt drive pulley to the power head, and if I use a demolition/ concrete saw, that part is already done I think.

Advertised as 4800 rpms on the cutter head of the AM, while I’ve read the Vermeer sc252 is around 1100.
Not sure how accurate either of those are, but makes sense that you’ll see much faster speed coming from a biggish 2 stroke.

Back