Shop Fabricated small stump grinder

Raj

TreeHouser
After a couple requests and my laptop is cooperating here are a few pics of my project. In my area, like other areas any guy with a chainsaw and pickup are knocking trees down, like me, but the stump has been left as an eyesore. Rental grinders are usually dull and slow. Stump grinding contractors are months away from being in the area, as they are from out of town, or they are local and rent a grinder and try to get them done in a day or two, and won't be doing it again for a few weeks or months. I saw a little business opening, if I can access backyards, offer a quick grind, no frills, have an economical to operate machine, and have a flexible schedule I would have a service I can offer home owners.

Started out with a disc.
lathe disc.jpg

test setup 2.jpg

first frame 3.jpg

motor mounted 4.jpg

handle adjust 5.jpg

disc mounted 6.jpg

11inch stump disc 7.jpg

rough layout 8.jpg

test grind nov2012 9.jpg

painted frame 10.jpg

sheild pulleyside 11.jpg

painted assembled 12.jpg

I think it's super cool you've built that sucker and it's working out for you. Frigging ingenious!

Is there any guarding on the operator side of the belt? Any chance of getting whipped if a belt lets go?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks!

There is a guard at the front, but other than the cross bars and the handles nothing at the rear.... yet. With the rotation of the engine belts have a tendency to fly towards the front.... and continue rolling down the road....

Something I wanted was a towable unit.The axles and tires are hiway rated, handles go upright and has reflectors. Tow bar is removable, with safety chains.

20170412_162155.jpg

20170412_162221.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wZ3TopUk-ME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0vZsY6zYR7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

=D>
Nicely done, but I agree for a full belts guard.
First, it's mandatory in the industry to protect all the fast moving parts.
Second, where the belts are located, they can catch all what you (don't) want, like chips, dirt, stones, twigs, grass, roots, pants, sleeves...
Last, it's always a good thing to put the rubber out of the sun light.

The good side of the thing, like that, the belts are very well ventilated.

That's awesome Peter, thank you so much for posting that! I'm a pickup guy too, and rental grinders are horrible, and i can't justify buying one. Is that your lathe too?

That's so awesome man, i think you just helped me convince the wife to get one. And thanks again for posting this sweet build!
:onfire:

Shoot man this makes me feel like an ass as I've been meaning forever to let you know I have an unused Hodges cutter head if you want it.

Clean build BTW

Awesome work Peter!

What do you estimate your cost and total labor hours to be?

As I recall, Dosko handlebar grinders had a parking brake for one wheel, making a pivot point so the grinding wheel would work an arc, like a hydraulic grinder does. Something to consider. I couldn't see if a wood or plastic wedge could easily lock one wheel to test the idea.

I'm impressed.

Be careful of vibration damage to your hands.

Thanks all. I'm just glad it worked!

Paul, a generous offer, thanks. You've already done a lot for me, and I appreciate it. I'll keep it in mind, but I think the shipping will kill it.

Levi. I had to purchase an used 10.5hp engine, air filter, pulley, 2 B groove belts, 2 4 bolt trailer tires, teeth, pockets, bolts, trailer coupler, muffler, gas shut off valve for about $600 CAD.

steel tubing, plate, sheet metal, pillow blocks, shaft, disc hub, nuts, bolts, screws, grind head pulley, axle, aluminum and plastic sheet and tubing for air filter, 12 inch round grind disc and other steel I had laying around. Probably another $800 if I had to buy it.

Time is hard to say, at least 40 hours at most 60.

Sean, I've been meaning to put a brake on a wheel, but I find I like it a bit nimble. I do spend some time raking and flattening the work area as I grind, and on some slopes I do pile a berm to keep it from rolling back. I will actively try to figure out a brake system that will not interfere with road travel. The handles have 2inch pipe insulation siliconed on, wrapped in hockey tape and I wear anti-vibe gloves.

Marc and Justin, my next step is a compete belt guard. But the mechanic in me is holding me up, I want something easy on/off and that I can use it as a stand on the job site to do quick repairs on the grind head or belts. Sounds easy but I can't settle on a design in my head.

Feelin`a bit inadequate in the guard department. I have opted for a two piece guard, hope it will help with service at the job site. Took a break from the shop to weld this up. I will put some tin or expanded steel on the open side.

20170413_123313.jpg

Looks good. But I was thinking more about the motor side. I feel like I'd be cringing the whole time if I was inline with those belts with no guard just the handlebar crossbars to protect me. I'm a paranoid mofo though no two ways about it.

This is all very impressive craftsmanship to me. I'm more of a maintainer than an inventor myself. So it's amazing to me to see things that people just 'make'.

Back