Fishing 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear ya Justin.
I guess mullet of one subspecies or another is found pretty much world wide Chris. Silver and striped mullet here. The striped mullet caught around the offshore islands on sand bottom here are actually pretty good.

I find shark to be quite tasty if done as Ray says after they are caught, then when cooked, the fillets breaded and deep fried.

I've never caught one but Makos are supposed to be excellent. I've always heard that Nurse sharks, because of their diet, are the the next thing to lobster but all those I ever caught were too big to go in the fish box and now the state has made it illegal to possess one. I guess I'll never know.

I caught a Mako once, not a monster maybe 3 or so foot long juvenile, very firm flesh from memory. I gave a lot of it away and the batch that I cooked I kinda under cooked it so maybe didn't do it the justice it deserves.

Those nurse sharks are too cute to kill imo...

A couple of buddies and I made a 100 mile overnight trek offshore yesterday and caught an unbelievable number of fish including grouper, snapper, tuna, king mackerel, giant sharks and some species I'd never seen or caught before. Red snapper and gag grouper seasons are closed so of course we caught (and released) dozens of them as well although we did have some fresher than fresh grouper sandwiches.
P1011096.jpg P1011093.jpg P1011100.jpg P1011106.jpg P1011109.jpg P1011114.jpg

That is a hella trip!

Musta been cool for you, a seasoned fisherman, to catch species new to you.

What kind of sharks, what'd you do with them, and how big? Thanks.

Bulls and lemons mostly Cory. One unknown species I'll have to try and identify but I'm thinking it was a dusky, which is normally rare in these parts. The biggest was about ten feet. We cut 'em all loose. Shark populations are really high this year for whatever reasons and they are putting the hurt on local shrimpers. As the shrimpers tow their net and shrimp and fish accumulate in the bag, sharks bite and rip the net to get at the goodies inside, which destroys the net, the shrimp and the profits.
Blessed indeed Jim!

I'm guessing Ray doesn't want to keep sharks (bulls and lemons anyway) cuz the meat isn't highly desirable and he's definitely not the type of guy to 'fin' a shark.

Wow, bull sharks- they must be a beast on the end of the line!! I'm no shark expert but I'm a lil surprised you caught bulls way out there in the middle of nowhere, I woulda thought they are much more prevalent near-shore in shallower water.

Are you not allowed to keep sharks?
Jim you can have a max of two sharks per vessel. I'm not a fan of shark meat so we rarely keep one.
Cory, I think the bull sharks are there because of the relatively shallow water. Even though we were 100 miles offshore we were only in 120 feet of water. The area we fished rises up out of much deeper water and the bottom is covered with rock outcrops, coral, sea fans and the like. Water clarity there is phenomenal. I'm not a scuba guy, but if I was, it would definitely be a spot to dive.

Thanks for the info, Ray.

Were there any other boats out there with you? If no, it's gotta be kinda fun to be out there all alone. I love to paddle board to the middle of LI sound. Of course land is in sight there but usually no boats for miles.

We saw one boat in the distance on Saturday, that was it! It was a real thrill to have all those miles of fish infested waters all to ourselves.
Being on a paddle board that far from shore is out of the comfort zone of about 99.999% of the people in the world Cory, including me!

Back