Page 786 of 793 FirstFirst ... 286686736776784785786787788 ... LastLast
Results 7,851 to 7,860 of 7927

Thread: Work Pics Thread 2.0!

So did you plan ahead with a really deep hinge gutting?

Actually it looks like you didn't need it, could've reached from the sides, but not the back.

Rich, do you ever hesitate to do the felling cut so low due to debris likely embedded in the bark at that height?
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Who doesn't ???

Student of the Jedi Sponsor treebilly's Avatar

Planned ahead. After looking at the stump and laying the saw around from the sides and the rear, I would’ve had about a six inch stab that would’ve been unreachable. Only takes a few seconds to gut the hinge. This one had a slight back lean so we had a pull rope in it. I didn’t want to mess with pounding by that point.
    Cory i do hesitate at times. Kinda depends on the location I’m working in. Also I will raise up to straighter grained wood if it’s gonna be a real tight lay or high winds ( not real gusty) with brush still on, or side weight/ lean. I got into the low cuts when I was doing a lot of clearings. Had to have low stumps so machinery could move around and picking up a two foot long piece of wood was a PITA.
    -Rich

Quote Originally Posted by treebilly View Post
    20 inch bar on the 461. I was to lazy to walk back around the truck to grab the next size up.
    20 inch bar on the 461. You got skills, so you didn't have to walk back to the truck for the next size up.

By boring in and walking the saw around, you use, Cory's keep you stumping chain sharp technique (IIRC) of always pulling stuff outward from the cut, with inside clean wood. Inclusions are tough, of course, but looks like an optimal way about it.

The more your gut from front, the less cutting on the back-cut, dealing with dulling inclusions.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Yeah, makes sense, Rich. A 2' long piece of wood can be a pita but on most of my jobs it works out ok, so I cut most of mine a bit high. And then I can flush the stump and still keep chain sharp using the 'cutting mud 'technique

Edit: Yes, exactly right, Sean.
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

Back to my cracked tree...I have sourced a 3'6" auger drill bit...I can get 1/2" or 3/4"...which would you recommend?
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

Fi, what size rod do you have? I use a 3/4" bit for 5/8" eye bolts. I think a 1/2" bit that long would be easy to break or bend.
    -Brian

This is Not my forte.

I bet if sharp, and used well, with the scaffolding available (picnic tables), 1/2" bits would work. Would they normally sell them that long if bendy/ breaky? Start with shorter, if you want/ can, and go up to 42".

1/2" rod calls for (as usual, 1/16 or 1/8" larger bit) 9/16th or 5/8" bit, per BMPs.
    I've only got one bit for 1/2" rod, and IDK the size.

The 3/4 is a lot more volume, over double, but won't break.

How many rods?
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

Going with the 3/4, hubby is happy means he gets a new drill out of this too.
    We had some 1/2 rod, but decided to go bigger.
    The drill bits are made once you order them...they have one even longer, 5'3", thought that might be overkill!
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.