The Official Work Pictures Thread

This is what we call Spanish moss in the South.

Attachments

• DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    421.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    402.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00014.JPG
    DSC00014.JPG
    392.4 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00034.JPG
    DSC00034.JPG
    413.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC00041.JPG
    DSC00041.JPG
    394.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC00049.JPG
    DSC00049.JPG
    429.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2167resized.jpg
    IMG_2167resized.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2180resized.jpg
    IMG_2180resized.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 54
Oh yes, dealt with that in Mobile, AL and Ft. Myers, FL. Goats seem to love the stuff -- would bring bags of it to some down the road. Didn't know you had as much in Hotlanta -- thought it was further down in the Savannah neighborhood.

Finally took care of the Bittersweet monster. Three Hemlocks buried in that mess. First one cut form the ground would not move so I climbed and pieced them. Nothing would fall. It was all stuck. Spent a whole day pulling vines into a 7" chipper. It worked. It is a good lesson learned. Charge by time and not by the number of trees anytime I see vines. monster.jpg after the intervention.jpg

Yeah, the vine really takes the moral down. Never seems to end. The good part is that it created a "3 tree to take down" job. No vine on them.

Siberian elm today was wrapped in vines with a main strand bigger than my arm. Was able to cut it in 3-4 places and yank it down, though -- after cutting a few limbs out of the canopy. Vines are definitely a consideration -- and poison ivy should add a big premium, if you even want to deal with it. We're pretty well equipped with a winch & grapple, minimizing handling risk.

Lesson learned. In retrospect, it turned out well. Since I rented the chipper, I did not want to exceed a day of rental. I usually climb, drop, haul to an arranged disposal site. So many new facets of the work came colliding on this project. Does anyone own or use a Boxer X7 chipper? I really liked it but would like to hear stories, good and bad.

You can rent a few and try them out -- United Rentals usually carries a BC1000 if you want to step up to a 12" chipper. Vermeer, Bandit, Morbark -- could hardly go wrong with any of the "big 3." Morbark owns Boxer, and the model you mentioned sure looks like Papa Morbark made it. One slight worrying thing in the description: "Designed primarily for the rental market, as well as small independent contractors..."

He is a small IC.

I've had a bunch of problems my my Boxer mini. Its probably a lemon, to a degree, but the frame did crack due to a manufacturing process cooling error, and needed welding, and other stuff.

BC1000 is 12"

I'd consider a Bandit 9", or 6" (with 6x12 or 6x13" throat).

My chuck-n-duck has never been hungrier in my 12 years of ownership. CHEAP and LIGHT for its appetite. The rectangular throat is key, 9x16". My market is good for a chuck and duck, and I can stuff it with my mini, if I hold back the brush to prevent over-eating. A lot of markets are not...bendy hardwoods.

Ditch Witch is a fine mini machine -- demoed it for a day on a bike path job, forwarding out all material to the chipper on the street.

Flu bug got me -- down all day today. Children have had it in series, so it was just a matter of time after cleaning up vomit and sneeze explosions. Probably stay low tomorrow, too -- since I'm achy and don't have a lot of energy.

I was wondering about Brendon today.

His was warranted. New machine.

Bought a DW.

The expandable undercarriage kills it, though!
I have tight access, and cross slope/ desire to tow with the mini, so the width is important.

I'd hope for it, I miss his input. Especially for a youngster, he has his head screwed on straighter than most...just like Sir Carlito. My opinion, anyway.

Back