The Official Work Pictures Thread

The pole will snap before phone and cable mains will. We only do it when there are more than a few spans affected. Then they start to worry. Some of the most dangerous jobs I’ve done was for those boneheads

Sean, the break in the limb and the cable lines holding up the limb that went to 3 different properties, the main lines and the pole's condition were my major concerns. And doing the job solo, but I did manage to scrap up some help.

The maasdam rope had an eye splice and 2ton shackle to preserve strength as opposed to a knot.

The slings with eyes I had for anchoring were too long and the maasdam would have been out of reach, so I used a short rigging line.

I figured the 3strand was going to be a bit overloaded, but I planned on removing much of the limbs weight once it was lifted off the pole.

Good work, Peter. A tensionless anchor will put torque a limb. The slight bend from the shackle-choke should be minimal effect.

For the bag of tricks, a double-whip tackle will basically double your rope-system capacity by splitting the load.

Did you set the rigging without having to put any load on the limb, as in, from the ground, or other stable parts of the tree?

Good trick!

Thanks!

The block was set from the ground. The help was told not to touch, go near, or even think about the setyp, I didn't want to climb up to get it if he pulled out the rigging line. (Maadam was on one end and eyesplice with a shackle was the other.)

Storm-damaged trees are the toughest, for sure. Learned lots of tricks here, over the years, plus applied experience.

Last tree on a house that I pulled off was sitting hard on the eave by the time I got down that far. The roots were broken, not wanting to stand back up, but with side to side stability. I was able to put some logs beneath the tree trunk and lift with felling wedges pounded between the logs and trunk.

A narrow "x" can be formed out of 4x's or bigger, or small diameter logs as a cradle, then lashed to the log, supporting weight from below, as well.

I like the rough sawn look -- far an away better than the granite-smooth polished look. Perhaps a reactionary position to the latest laminate-top particle board crap they're selling everywhere, but Shaker-style is my cup o' tea!

Look what I got to play with! Largest lift I have ever run, took a bit for me to get used to the wobblies way up high but groundie assured me the truck was solid as a rock down below,
The local hire company just got two of these and a smaller 45'...Yay :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180907_114330.jpg
    IMG_20180907_114330.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20180907_122025.jpg
    IMG_20180907_122025.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 52
What size was it Fiona?

I once went up in a 64m lift. Almost ruined the car park as the foot print was 32t IIRC.

Solid as a rock but you can’t help looking down the boom and looks like it is bent and connected to a shoe box all the way below.

;)

It was an 18 metre..yeah, from up top it feels like a noodle attached to a shoebox. I got used to it after about an hour.
Two booms, one jib, one tele on the upper boom, and the bucket swivels, lots of options.

Attachments

• IMG_20180907_084714.jpg
    IMG_20180907_084714.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 30
5DF91B2E-3DBA-45D2-A3B3-53A71BC570A0.jpg 51E4AB21-6F44-476B-9F4F-9A82D6C86D6A.jpg B4F1DFEF-52A4-43B1-A2B5-0494C691494D.jpg BEF20223-546F-40CB-AE20-FA3B0DEAE71F.jpg
Only two jobs today. First was a really dead ash( first three pics). I was pretty close on reach with that one. Very profitable job. The last pic was another dead ash, but much more stable. This was on a property that we are doing in phases. Most hazardous came out first. Only three left to deal with and then on to more problematic trees there. I then made the mistake of stopping at the neighbor’s on my way home. At 11:30 pm I finally made it in my house.

Back