The Official Work Pictures Thread

4F23EAD0-0A47-4E42-9CA3-73EB5E3E042B.jpg
6EC0280F-C6D4-489E-B3C1-F158E6E40B59.jpg
One of the five nasty rotted out sugar maples from today. Also had a hollow walnut and some brush to clear for a bridge replacement. This one went a bit off of the hinge, but I didn?t even expect it to hold as long as it did. Nasty hot humid day.

Also, when a cow pattie looks dry and hard, that?s just an illusion. The chip truck driver found this out for us:)

My friends on the farm found out how flammable cow patties are... and with the drought-dried grass, it spread quickly from cow patty to cow patty. A whole field fire with plenty of bovine incendiaries to fuel it!
cow-pattie.jpg
Cow Pattie restaurant in Warsaw, Missouri (on the Lake of the Ozarks).

Yeah, still doing the scaffolding. The work is still fun but I'm miserable for at least a part of everyday. These little treejobs bring me some inner peace and a bit of coin.

Last tree of the project, interrupted by a GI virus and tweekers' damage.

I cracked the top of an old fence board in the graffiti'ed section with a dead top's branch... couple feet too long. I didn't want to climb up higher, as the top was crispy-cracky. Not bad for 11 crusty trees.
Ground took a beating, but raked out.

Stump farm made for broken logs.

All firewood logs, hooked up four friends, one in-part in trade for a greenhouse that I'll use for dry storage for the time being. I have a mess of logs at my house.

Chips onsite for HOA use in the greenbelt. A lot of mini-fed piles, some hand chipping at the end, but speed-lined and rigged them to spin right to chipper, under the adjacent alder.

About 10 yards of dirty rakings that won't be put through my chipper.
21 days until burn-ban is over, if rain comes in, which it seems it will.

Getting into the school year schedule will free me up to be able to put more concentrated time on projects.

I picked D up from school on Friday, came back, set her up with a new lego set, and dumped the last trunk, then headed out, leaving my employee to finish packing, gather signs and cones, and unload debris at the shop.

IMG_20180831_175605536.jpg

IMG_20180830_164130336.jpg

IMG_20180830_165343348.jpg

IMG_20180831_170008588.jpg

IMG_20180906_171647122_HDR.jpg

LegoMan can one-hand it, too.
IMG_20180906_155722393_HDR.jpg

A job I had no business doing. 40ft-ish long broken silver maple branch laying on cable and phone lines. Bell, Rogers and the city walked away from the job. Lines are working, no need for them to touch it. Brushed it out last Friday, Monday was rained out. Set a block and maasdam to lift and remove weight from lines. Great plan, the break had different plans, nothing held, just the interlocked fibres like velco. Property owner dropped 2 lines to the house, we tied them back and it all pretty much worked as planned, I cut what was laying on the lines, did a few cranks on the maasdam, the break let go, dropped the butt to the ground then lowered the rest. No backyard access for machines.

GRCS would have been the cat's ass on this job....

20180911_105048.jpg

20180911_124605.jpg

20180911_124555.jpg

Plan the work, work the plan. Sounds like you did alright.�� Funny how the utility was okay with leaving it.

Glad it worked out, Peter. Hope is was compensated well enough, since nobody else wanted to do it. What was the dicey part that lead to your description, the utility lines being in play?

Sometimes, strapping the butt of the branch to the trunk, with some release-able means (rigging rope with trunk wrap, POW) can give some control easily.

A girth-hitch in the middle of the rope can have two tails, and easily installed from the ground. One tail up and over a crotch, one tail down to a trunk-wrap or POW. They can also easily become tag-lines, and share the load. 3 strand with knots might be pushing the limits on something of that size.

A tensionless hitch/ tensionless anchor might help preserve your rope strength, if accessible, and the Maasdam RP has a good bend radius.

Why is maasdam RP anchored as such? Needed a bigger sling to anchor directly?

Back