The Official Work Pictures Thread

I remember and it royally sucked. Luckily aerosol cans became the norm shortly after I was introduced to those fricking paint pots!

Fortunately, we are too high North for Pterodactyles, alligators and Kudzu.

Talk about luck.

Some storm work from Yesterday. Steep wet grassy slope in a creek draw. We have been clearing this draw out for a couple years now since the fire went through it. Almost took the guys house. This tree was green but the roots were done. Last part of the video you will see 1/2 the root crown and stumps going down the hill on a 2:1. I have been using that pine stump for the portable winch redirect for over a year. I just left the stump there knowing full well I would need it again. Exploiting the only flat spot close to the creek we can get the mini to.
Fodder. 20190322_094739.jpg received_412126009349642.jpeg received_390079134878388.jpeg 20190322_101219.jpg 20190322_101137.jpg 20190322_101131.jpg 20190322_094850.jpg 20190322_094807.jpg 20190322_094748.jpg 20190322_133433.jpg
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wBfLmnYpSCw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Long day spent on this EAB victim. Signs of blonding earlier this year motivated the owner to get it removed. I had a nice lunch break on the stubs, they provided much needed relief from the spurs. 20190324_131452.jpg IMG_1714.jpg IMG_1718.jpg

You are so right to explain those stubs! Boss here (MB) has a rule....
"no stubs!!" That was probably his first comment to me years back when I posted a work picture..."no stubs". That was it...succinct, smart and it stuck.

I do leave one sometimes to contain my top rope to descend...but those stubs invariably snag something later if I leave any.

NO stubs! Good rule.

Good work there, Patrick. Is that a long yellow strap (if so, what's it for?) or did the bark tear that far???? That's gotta be a strap in the last picture?

I know, no stub left behind! PB and J and a cereal bar were not worth going down but worth taking the time to cut the stubs later. The strap was used on the last crotch that was questionable. More of a mental help than a need I reckon.

Nah...when in doubt do it. Take the time to add a strap when that niggling voice makes you wonder if you need the strap...a few minutes.

Don't add the strap and really needed it...that little voice becomes an eternal shout that says, "why didn't you pay attention???"

A snack isn’t bad but I won’t eat an entire lunch on Spurs. If the strap makes you feel better then use it. Something like that can help one keep a clearer head when working. No frig it cuts is kind of along the same lines

A friend bid this job...I saw pictures beforehand but, alas, we know that's a dumb way to say, "OK, I'll help".

What looked to him like we could bomb a lot of stuff was a big nope...had to rig lots. Very long limbs that might bounce wrong on impact. So, some limbs had to be taken in 2-3 pieces. I spent 7 hours in the saddle...long day. All natural crotch, often several crotches at a time. I used a central crotch with additional "canopy crotches" to get better rigging points (for less swing of limb pieces) and to spread out the load. And had to take a pretty big top to keep the tree out of the swimming pool.

Cut the top from about 20 feet up on the spar...used my old 041 with 24" bar for that. I DO NOT like big saws in trees. Plus this one does not have a chain brake...really don't like that part of it. Drop starting that saw in the tree without a brake pretty much sucks. It is going to be relegated to ground work from now on.

tree removal with Herb from Herb  (1).jpg tree removal with Herb from Herb  (2).jpg tree removal with Herb from Herb  (4).jpg tree removal with Herb  (1).jpg tree removal with Herb  (6).jpg tree removal with Herb  (7).jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i-sVD6BCRGU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then we went back this AM to take out 3 "no climb trees"...one dead pine 70 feet, it did fine....upright went where it needed to.

The next one was a fair sized oak, maybe 20" DBH but a back lean towards the house. A high pull rope and a big skid steer put it down fine, too...plenty of good wood in it.

Last tree, not so good. I woke up this AM thinking about these two oaks...both leaning towards the house...wondering if I should bind them since we were going to pull them with the skid steer to overcome the lean. This last one was maybe 18" DBH. As soon as I got about 4 inches into the face cut (made bottom but first) I thought I heard a crack...there was a faint line that might be a crack. I had the steer tighten up more to take stress off the spar and hot footed it to the trailer to get a chain. By the time I had gotten back the split was defined...a barber chair in the making.

I got it bound, cut my top cut for the face and then had a proper face cut showing....this took the 8-10" off the slab that had started with the first cut...without removing that section above the base cut I figured the slab would be fighting against us as the tree got to vertical. I had the steer tighten some more and made the back cut as he slowly pulled. The tree went over fine.

I will probably start binding leaners that have to be pulled up to vertical as part of the fall. The hollow of this tree almost got us. My inner voice had me wondering if I should bind the tree before making any cuts. Or I should have at least bored into it to see if it was hollow or rotted at the center.

Attachments

• tree removal with Herb day 2 -  (1).jpg
    tree removal with Herb day 2 - (1).jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 40
  • tree removal with Herb day 2 -  (2).jpg
    tree removal with Herb day 2 - (2).jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 41
  • tree removal with Herb day 2 -  (5).jpg
    tree removal with Herb day 2 - (5).jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 40
  • tree removal with Herb day 2 -  (6).jpg
    tree removal with Herb day 2 - (6).jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 43
  • tree removal with Herb day 2 -  (8).jpg
    tree removal with Herb day 2 - (8).jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 40
Almost got ya there! Glad it stayed together, that could've sucked!!

Keep the dogshit off the ropes? That's a nightmare.

Back