The Official Work Pictures Thread

This is the only tread pattern they have for my machine
E0A7A55F-D195-4765-B1FA-683B059C17D6.jpg
Does this seem turf friendly enough plus aggressive enough for the rare mud use? How do you like them Raj? I?m a bit leery just because of the price difference. Vermeer quoted me around $700 a side

Edit. I’ll have to call anyhow. I just realized these are the 7”. I have and want the 9” wide

This is the only tread pattern they have for my machine
View attachment 88871
Does this seem turf friendly enough plus aggressive enough for the rare mud use? How do you like them Raj? I?m a bit leery just because of the price difference. Vermeer quoted me around $700 a side

Edit. I’ll have to call anyhow. I just realized these are the 7”. I have and want the 9” wide

They have the chevron pattern (solid block, bar) for mine I got about 500 hours on my first set before they got tore up. Mind you it's full throttle into the fray and small stumps are not your friend. They wear even, maybe a tad softer than the Vermeer's rubber composition but seem to handle cold weather better -10* was the coldest day.
I think the diamond patter will work well but might wear a bit faster on pavement so I'd recommend pavement butter around the chipper. Also it's Vermeer they are going to be on the high side of things $. For the price I like them well enough.

I replace them twice for what Vermeer wants. Now I’m hoping they have the wide track for my machine. Even if it is a more turf friendly tread pattern. Back to the inter web to search for other options just in case

Yeah, Summit SUpply here for the Dingo. Just under 6 bills a set. Last me about a year in our nasty rocks and such.

Bet you save that in boots alone for the same work to be done by hand.

I didn't see Boxer tracks at that link above. Mine are fine at 305 hours. Not much rock showing through the moss. Need to be prepared. Do tracks break much, or just wear down, or only really break by the time they're worn down, typically?

I've added mini-butter to my lexicon, thanks to someone here. Rajan or August, IIRC.

Jed, in the ghetto again!

Oakie Dokie

Today's job (yes, just one!) was an oak removal for a township, at a T-intersection of two country roads. The oak was a historic landmark, well known in this part of the county -- but very crispy, dead. It had obviously been declining for years, no foliage this year and perhaps last year either. Only thing green on it was the poison ivy vine, but at least they had air gapped that, so it was dried out going up the trunk. We'll see how we do for urushiol contact! We decided to show up in force with both trucks, as well as renting the spider lift again. We wanted to make a good impression, get the tree down & cleaned up within a day so as to open the door for further work with them as they have need.

A lot of people are used to zooming down the gravel road at top speed, so that was the main consideration for safety (we had the usual signs & lights out, but no traffic control -- just a clear, visible presence)! Also, we had power lines running along both roads, and a soybean field to the side, so we couldn't just drop the tree. Anything we did drop self-bucked when it hit the ground, pre-seasoned firewood, ready to go!

At least a half dozen people stopped by and commented about the tree & their memories, sad to see it go. One lady came by on a 4 wheel utility vehicle and asked for a souvenir log. The notch cut yielded a bit of a surprise, for sure! At the end of the day, we had 2 loads of logs and 1 very full chip truck, leaving only the 6'x7' stump.
P1360193.JPG P1360198.JPG P1360210.JPG P1360212.JPG P1360230.JPG P1360236.JPG P1360237.JPG P1360240.JPG P1360247.JPG P1360269.JPG P1360277.JPG P1360287.JPG P1360290.JPG P1360308.JPG P1360313.JPG P1360323.JPG P1360336.JPG P1360346.JPG P1360380.JPG P1360394.JPG P1360402.JPG P1360412.JPG P1360422.JPG

Very not cool, and not because he was using one hand - that's fine with me if you know how to do that.

Disclaimer - perhaps he was resting for ten seconds. If so, not a problem. Otherwise...

He should be starting the cut with the body (not the top of the bar) as close as possible to the limb. Another way to say that - cut with the bottom of the bar. BUT!

I see the limb on top that will be in the way cutting it like that. Therefore, that limb should be removed first.

When I see this pic (if he's cutting) I see way extra effort being put out plus a very good chance of kickback.

Attachments

• P1360212.jpg
    P1360212.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 38
Badass Gp, all that iron seems to make life easy. But please start wearing a fall harness when working in a lift, that's first day stuff man. I've known dudes who were catapulted out of them, granted on construction sites, but if you work in one everyday you need to do it right. You would be fired from every utility company in north America for doing that, not to mention your family deserves to have you around. Other than that, and maybe using tie down chains for overhead rigging at way past their capacity, amazing job.

Something about climbers using lifts (I was guilty at first also) is that most never want to raise the lift high enough to get into a good position to make the cut. So much easier to cut from beside the limb instead of under the limb. Very dangerous to have to cut above shoulder height and all it takes is another 1/2 second of finger pressure on the lever to raise you up another 18" so you don't have to struggle as much. I work out of bucket instead of an open basket so I try to take it a bit further and raise the bucket high enough that the sawdust hits the side of the bucket instead of blowing back on me.

Not trying to be critical, just a helpful tip.

An electric drill (drill motor, as Jomo used to say) and drill bit should be on the estimator's truck. That base should not have been one bit of surprise, hope you're just being facetious. It should have been drilled 4+ times for measurement of Sound Rind Thickness after thumping and finding a drum at the estimator's inspection, IMO.

Just a regular tree climbing saddle (not meant for fall arrest, I know), with a tight lanyard to the bottom of the bucket to prevent a fall will be a million times better than being catapulted.

The famous Eyes of Steel. One-eye Bob survived a career of logging in the PNW, second or more generation of loggers (this being Junior, not senior), without losing an eye without safety glasses, oh yeah, until he was about 60, Lives 3/4 of a mile. One-eye Guy made it until about 40 something, hinge splitter to the eye, tree was already felled, and he didn't backchain the hinge whiskers off the stump or log, not sure. One-Eye Levi, our old TH friend only made it until 12, and eye accident. Injured-Eye Jed, our esteemed hinge-artist friend, got it one day, thankfully recovered, I think. One-eye Moss on TB, had the guy who he was helping by giving work to, make a bad decision and his recovery has been partial and presumably terrible. Its all fun and games.

If you are posting these pics on your business facebook, you're documenting a lot of bad work practices/ illegal perhaps, unless you guys don't have OSHA or whatnot in your neighborhood.

Leg pro? I know, its hot, its hot. Cough, Coolvests, Cough, Cough.

Full disclosure, as an owner with no safety rules or insurances covering me, I wear leg pro when risk are elevated, not everyday, and I can't think of the last time while climbing (my saw pants are too tight for climbing, and I've never gotten others). My reflex if I slip with a saw on the ground is to throw it away from me. F the saw. Never broken a saw, or even close. Can't really remember throwing one, even. I've very getting-hurt-averse, VERY. Once, about 3 years ago, I slipped in the rain and should have thrown it. No harm. Also, I take my hand off both throttle and throttle-interlock while walking, if I retain a grip on the pistol grip, and never put the bottom of the saw on my body. And no F-it cuts. Just saying, I'm not perfect by a long shot, safety wise. I've had my employees do stuff that nearly killed me once and blinded me once (Yay forest screens!!!).

We'll be ordering a fall arrest harness, now that it seems that a spider lift is in our repertoire (2nd time renting). And of course, we're still in the market for a bucket truck, so well be getting all that stuff (harnesses, saw scabbards, etc.)

MB -- that pic was the very first cut on the tree as he was getting into position with the lift. Brand new chain on the 200T, so no issues with the cut.

Sean -- He's a co-owner of the business, so as you pointed out, some types of PPE is a little more discretionary than strictly mandatory. Climber's helmet's on the fritz (messed up SENA), so he's making do with a temporary. His normal helmet has the flip down visor. And I don't spell it facetious, I spell it fecesious -- meaning full of something. I was talking about what crawled out from the notch being the "surprise" -- the creature from the notch. We had a very good idea it was hollow; the cavity only went about 4' up from ground level -- a hobbit hole.
:D

Every lift I've ever rented came with a harness as well as a full tank of fuel.
Ditto Brian's comment about a few seconds more to get the basket in the best position instead of reaching.

(Brian, we cool dude, from my tree picture before)

My lift rentals always have rental harness and lanyard options.

All co-owners, like partners, or have stock shares in the company? No need to answer. Personal info.
I have no house in the race.

I've heard of very few 2-way partnerships working, much less 6way or whatever.

MB: That was the very first cut in the tree, testing the wood. Dead as can be, light as a feather on the tips. Could've probably just snapped that limb off by hand. I did watch him cut a bit today, to get a sense of his style, though -- and I think he does tend to do mid-bar cuts on smaller diameter stuff, dig in the dogs for the larger diameter stuff (6"+). more toward the tip for light pruning cuts/suckers.

Sean: co-owners, profit sharing (after maintenance & expenses and capital upgrade fund). So unlike a set hourly wage, we can pick how much work we want to bite off in a day/week, set a schedule. Capitalism works! Work hard = bigger reward, more pie to slice up.

Jed, in the ghetto again!

Not just in the ghetto, man... I'm a Gangsta!!!

Rich: O.k, now I'm just plain spooked... how in the WORLD could you possible know that that was the "Sammamish Job." Dude, there's only like, .02% of the population who could even spell that.

Oh... and yeah... My job was just brushing and topping. They boys got to handle all of the wood... entitled, little bastards!

Butch, I'm not sure I'm catchin' what you're throwing. He's not doing this:
kickback-cause-440x226.png
Low kickback chain, mid-bottom of the bar cut, decent position -- cutting to the side of his head and body.

Back