The Official Work Pictures Thread

Saturday's job. There is a drain buried in the drop zone so the home owner was watching every branch and where they landed. Luckily the ash next to the dead one was there to hold the rigging. 20180703_175347.jpg 123_1.jpg

Must be slipping, only 3 jobs today. #1 was a medium sized ash removal, over the roofline and over the neighbor's fence. Climbed & craned out the leaders with our grapple. "New" 372 was a joy to cut with today, limbing the logs that we were keeping for firewood, doing the big leader cuts, and even the main stump cut.
P1360096.jpg P1360110.jpg P1360117.jpg P1360129.jpg P1360134.jpg P1360160.jpg
#2 was a Mongolian elm -- lower deadwooding, a broken leader, and some stub trimming. Nothing pretty afterward, but safer!
#3 was in the University area, just across from 2 sorority houses. We trimmed a pin oak (raised the crown, full crown clean and deadwood), trimmed/thinned an Osage orange, and pruned a few bushes. P1360182.jpg P1360188.jpg P1360189.jpg

No indications of EAB, but knowing all the trees are getting hit in our area and having this one over their roofline was enough to move them to action -- treat & prune or remove -- they opted for the one-time cost. They also want to take out the rear oak in the picture, leaving only the more stately one in the middle (perhaps taking off 2 limbs over their roof).

Yes, Gary -- an Osage, they call them "hedge apple" around here. I am gaining more of an appreciation for them -- they are strong in a storm, tough as nails. Hard, yellow wood -- just a bit too twisty to chip easily and the females have thorns. And when you prune them, it's hard to know when to stop -- endless deadwood, somewhat like a pin oak. Love the roots, very fluid & flowing, as if they had just been poured into place.
P1330065.jpg

Thanks for the explaining...I had no idea they got that big. I have read of them being used for bows; didn't realize the wood was yellow. I'll do some googling...might be a good trip.

Looks like it could be worth milling? Beautiful wood in the "images" section of google.

305068.jpg

Some friends used some Osage in a custom bus build -- for the wood steps going in. Very hard & durable wood, winds up with a yellow look, not so orange-tinged. I supposed it'd be good for flooring if you wanted a blonde yellow pine look. Not sure that it takes stain well, though.

It was a target-rich environment...

Attachments

• IMG_20180823_151921.jpg
    IMG_20180823_151921.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20180823_152016.jpg
    IMG_20180823_152016.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 31
Drives me crazy when people are so afraid that limbs are going to jump off the tree and attack their house, but in reality they just don't want the leaves. So they think they can prune it back enough to reduce leaves. I hate doing that kind of work but they won't let you kill it until they have had you trim it to death.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the tree in the first pic before the pruning.

Not work work related but for my ?side work?.
E076ECB7-D862-44E8-8B37-1A3927B56EBC.jpg
Thank you NAPA for the quick service. $650 later I can service half of my equipment. The other half was done in April so I?m good on it for a while yet. Gotta break it up so I don?t get to upset. That?s the easy pill to swallow. I need to replace the mini tracks. A grand to 1400 depending on the track width. I need to measure them. If they?re the narrow ones, I need to decide if I want to convert to the wide track. If that?s what I decide to do it would make the machine 2 inches wider but also make the ground pressure wxponentionally lower. What to do, what to do?

As importantly as ground pressure, you'll gain cross-slope stability. You can mat in, but that doesn't help keep you upright like width. My tracks go in and out, 34.5" to 43.5". I have a lot of tight spaces and love the feature. If you already aren't going through gates, I'd go wide. Double-win. If you're pushing your chipper in, the extra width will make it steer better, too.

Rich, I buy all my Napa Gold filters from FleetFilter.com. Less than half the cost of my local NAPA dealers. Plus they have a 20% price break at $250 so when I hit that it makes up for shipping costs as well. Over 5 years with them now and never had an issue (except they don't carry the air filter for my Duramax).

Not work work related but for my ?side work?.
View attachment 88859
Thank you NAPA for the quick service. $650 later I can service half of my equipment. The other half was done in April so I?m good on it for a while yet. Gotta break it up so I don?t get to upset. That?s the easy pill to swallow. I need to replace the mini tracks. A grand to 1400 depending on the track width. I need to measure them. If they?re the narrow ones, I need to decide if I want to convert to the wide track. If that?s what I decide to do it would make the machine 2 inches wider but also make the ground pressure wxponentionally lower. What to do, what to do?

Check Prowler tracks out I think I paid $750 for my last set shipped to my door. The ones I run on the s800 are 11" wide not the 9" from Vermeer, better floatation and just an inch wider than stock footprint overall on the machine.

I’ll check them out. Thanks

Brian, I’ve heard of that place as well. I run them through our business account at work and receive a very healthy discount, plus they deliver to the shop. The oil, antifreeze, case of grease, and the brake caliper added quite a bit to the bill as well.

The tree in the first pic IS after the trimming...just from the other angle. so there.

Go back to my picture of the whole tree a few posts ago and you'll see the loooong limb with what I considered excess end weight, right over the back patio.
That tree has had several large branches fail in the past.
I'm slowly working my way through it, thinning and weight reduction, will do more next winter.

Back