The Official Work Pictures Thread

Very nice pictures!

Did the last tree sustain some fractures when it was felled?

Yes.
On a two leader tree, you have to put it down with both leaders flat on the ground to avoid splitting the log.
On a multiple leader tree, that is impossible.
So the bottom leader broke off from the log, but apart from that, the log was fine.

Since it also had front lean, I decided to apply the triple hinge method that I have been experimenting with since somebody posted an annoying video about it here.

You are welcome,sir. It was a Logger Wade video.

Some mighty large hardwood trees there! Apparently the mills have no issues with logs that large?

Ask the Chinese!
They all get bucked to shipping container lengths and go to either China or Vietnam.

Pisses me off no end!

Thanks Cory.
Cudos to Logger Wade.
Tell him to shoot his camera man.

That video made a big impression on me.
Like: " Why the hell have I never thought of that".

Been experimenting with it ever since, on trees were it didn't really matter, which IMo is the way to experiment with stuff like that.

This was the first time I ever put it to the test.

Like I said, it exceeded expectations.

Great posting, Stig. Beautiful trees, good work being done. Bucking up logs like that blows my mind...having to stand on the log to buck it??? Your younger guys look really good.

Thanks for the pics and the time taken documenting. Finished taking down the ash on the left (low stump remaining). The one on the right shows a lot of EAB signs and it is on its way out as well. Next year probably if the client liked our work on the previous one.
20180901_161348.jpg

Thanks for the pics and the time taken documenting. Finished taking down the ash on the left (low stump remaining). The one on the right shows a lot of EAB signs and it is on its way out as well. Next year probably if the client liked our work on the previous one.

Tall ash tree! Or is that tall ass tree either way lol. Flopper?

We had the barberchair that ate Cincinatti come after us. My fault.
I've always made a habit of gutting the hinge on ash, since they will barberchair if given a chance.
Since I was cutting this one PNW style with a long bar on the MS880, I didn't and this is what I got for it.
No danger. There was so much shit coming down from above from those trees that we had adopted a " get the hell out of Dodge" tecnique, also known as" Cut and run", so we were way gone when it blew up.
Tres magnifique! So we're moving on from the "intentional barber chair" to the "expected barber chair."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/77dXNcvLdvk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wonder if a double-kerf width at the slots would allow more flex before hitting the next hinge is touched. Some slow-mo hinge footage would be great.

Most likely.
I'll try it out when given a chance.

Nope GP.
That barberchair was most certainly not expected.

I don't ruin logs if I can avoid it.

I was going to ask about that on some of your pictures -- it looks to be a rather high stump shot on some of the trees; I would think that a logger would want as much wood as possible -- but is the wood closer to the ground undesirable? I know for us in a suburban felling setting, we try to go as low to the ground as possible to avoid a 2nd stump cut or flush cut if we can avoid it (barring dirt or rocks or possible metal). Buttress roots may change that scenario, as would a desire to shorten the lay so as to avoid a target. Then we would cut a higher stump initially and then re-cut for the flush cut.

Anyone actually try the "triple hinge" thing? Been meaning to give it a try but haven't had the right opportunity yet.

Pay attention dude.
I just showed pictures and gave an explanation of using it in post # 7124

GP I'll vary the height of stump shot to fit whatever I think the situation calls for.
I never do something without a reason, in this case it was probably to give the hinge some more flexibility.
I don't know which picture you are referring to.

Sometimes it can be difficult to keep up with threads. It isn't always from not paying attention.

"Just posted" was 25 posts ago.

Back