The Official Work Pictures Thread

The guy in the orange shirt isn't a tree guy. I would have no room for him on my crew. Two pictures in a row of work going on and him standing there doing nothing, I doubt I could last a half day before kicking him off the job.

Second picture is operating the speedline. He's tying it up and out of the way before chipping. Second one he is looking up to me for a second. He's just started on the crew, but worked for Evergreen Tree Service (local walmart of tree work) and a small company that was closing up shop. That owner has had two hip replacements, spurring up big trees for 35 years. Forced retirement.

I'm able to guarantee that he didn't go around all day with his hands up to his head, like in the picture, while the other guy unslung speedlined branches. Possibly adjusting putting in corded rubber ear plugs.

That's a lot of assessment from two blurry pics, no?

Long limbs just fit. August's elevated ground-end anchor trick did us right. The guy in orange, who's been on two days, could handle most by hand (looks about 200+ pounds, and 6'+), redirected through a biner. Occasionally, had two guys on the line.

The munter-hitch on the elevated ground-anchor was hard to tighten (on outside of fence). I'll figure a ground anchor for a munter hitch. I'll catch and use a controlled speedline for the tops, and a friction brake will help on that heavier load.

Taking today off. HOT and full sun. 92+*F. Shoulder is sore. Tomorrow will be a lot of ms461/ 20"/ 28" in the tree, moving up to 32" or 36" by the bottom. "Magic" Cut-ing iis soooo much easier than hinge-making when double-cutting or chasing, with plenty of accuracy on a vertical pole. Magic Cuts never have the block of wood stop when the face closes, but the hinge doesn't rip. The ground guys don't have to dig a rope out from under a chunk, and manage it. They can do other work. I don't have to keep pulling pull-ropes up the tree, which my shoulder thanks me for.

Most of the other work onsite has been machine-moved and machine-fed into the chipper, 5 yards blown into a chip-trailer box, which I will move to where they need the mulch with the mini.

The lower stuff on the tree was mostly dead, so not so heavy to haul up the hill until the height I needed for speed-lining easily, keeping the 3:1 out of it.

Had a pretty mental storm rip through last Friday. Watched the coast guards rescue people on a sail boat that was drifting broadside towards Oslo, sails in tatters.

Had a decent job out of it though. Got a call about 4pm Friday from a friends saying a tree had blown over into their neighbours brand new house.

Got over sharpish and worked out a plan. Not a big tree but a bit of a head scratcher as there wasn?t much to rig off other than a Pine tree in the entrance to the property but a fair distance to the house. Ended up putting a pulley in the pin and tied the tree off and to my pickup. Nibbles away with a pole saw from the ground and then tied into the chimney pot and cut and chucked it from the roof. It started to lift a bit so I new it was still connected somewhat to the roots. Got most off then pulled it away from the property with the truck. No further damage other than the 8 or 10 broken roof tiles.

Today I was contracting for a guy in Oslo. Woke up to a glorious sunrise and then went around doing storm work. The Pick of the jobs was a failed Norwegian Maple. Not so Peachey for the car underneath. Probably an insurance write off.

200f5c74309e1016fb4151fa72a7815a.jpg

1751c3be1ead0eeb96edc18121b4481a.jpg

d2decdeca8cad193a24b428bcf1e78e1.jpg

18de3165097df5c8b9dedd327706132c.jpg

d568a57a163af8986d75a40114fd83df.jpg

c8cf3a0e492edf0f2d8b246785694603.jpg

27b14c85477da16bb80e6dad34849371.jpg

eacbbb9b7110066160450053703cd249.jpg

ce18b4610a7a7508be1ff7891867633e.jpg

33cfbcef5070c67c7b14c0793ae39998.jpg

bbfb01b536bfeef63920084176524669.jpg

70a23fcc85d65bf2f07e4c4c6d38b7ce.jpg

914a45b745c861d6e730f3f7817d48c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good work saving the house...safely played.

That last tree is sizable...the further into the picts I got the bigger the tree was.:D

The guy is a forester so any decent timper gets cut to length and sent to the mill. He even cuts spruce for pulp.

It was a good sized tree.

Those chippers are 10 inch tracked.

Great pics!

Was that extension ladder propping the tree?

Great pics!

Was that extension ladder propping the tree?

Not exactly.

I jammed it in there to take some of the weight initially but also to gauge the tree. Once o had the weight of the roof the step lifted about 8 inches from the ladder so I knew it still had some connection at the roots.

It also served as a pivot point for the stem as It was pulled over.

I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE a 10" tracked chipper, don't get me wrong. Most guys stateside think 12" is the bare minimum. My stuff is mostly straight, short or long. If I'm careful, I can feed my chipper with the mini, grabbing to slow it down in my CnD. My mini would be sunk for moving a 5500 pound- Vermeer BC1000 (12").

I did a lot of screwing around to get the chipper in position at present. Its such that the chipper could overpower my mini easily, if I'm not very careful at times. Plus, I just squeezed it in, ever so barely. Tracks would make it very predictably maneuverable.

Seems like tracked chippers are quite a bit more than trailer mounted, understandably.

Out of my budget ATM.

Using the ladder as a gauge is a great idea.

Not sure about what that means to use it as a pivot point when you pulled the stem over. I'll have to think on that one.

Using the ladder as a gauge is a great idea.

Not sure about what that means to use it as a pivot point when you pulled the stem over. I'll have to think on that one.

When I had most of the tree off the roof and on the last point of contact I was able to lift the tree a bit. We wedged the ladder in again and I trimmed the tree so it was was not touching the house then pulled it with the truck. The ladder at 90 degrees supported it till it was away from the building then the ladder fell onto the brash pile.

I was improvising...

Nice one. I've stacked two, short logs under a tree on the house, and banged wedges in two places between log and tree to lift the tree in two places. A strategically carved 'saddle' in the top of the log would work similarly to the ladder.

Creative ladder use.

I don't think I could go less than a 15" chipper. My s800tx handles my bc1500 weighing in at 7000lbs.

I have pulled my chipper up a steep gravel road. My tongue weight on the 4400 pound chipper is about 100 pounds. It is balanced in a funny, and frequently useful way. It could also flip over backward too easily. I'm down a hill with it at the moment. A heavy chipper would/ could push the loader over backward (loader downhill/ chipper uphill. Loader uphill would be facing the wrong way, and could tip the chipper over backwards. A decently steep hill at a lake.

The slop of the pintle ring and hook shoves it around somewhat.

I'm thinking of having 1/4" angle-iron cut down to weld to the outside of the BMG tow-hitch's round tube to make it fit snugly in the square tube of the grapple. The hitch pin holes are wallered/ egged out, and the grapple pin hole is slightly egged out, so a lot of slop for pushing. My grapples stabilize the hitch, but it happens cumulatively.

When I had most of the tree off the roof and on the last point of contact I was able to lift the tree a bit. We wedged the ladder in again and I trimmed the tree so it was was not touching the house then pulled it with the truck. The ladder at 90 degrees supported it till it was away from the building then the ladder fell onto the brash pile.

I was improvising...

:lol: Great explanation! It's the improv that gets to be so interesting. Cool idea.

Interesting for sure.

Did the process compromise the structural integrity of the ladder or is it still GTG?

Back