The Official Work Pictures Thread

There's a guy near me who does the same thing and blew the ring gear on his bucket. I don't know the details but no one was hurt.
So do you figure wear and tear into the longevity of your MH before replacement?
I just got rid of my last truck with over 18,000 hours on it a few months ago. This truck only has 4700 hours, about half of that running the PTO. As an owner/operator I tend to pay a bit more attention to the machine than an employee would. To be honest I was starting to get concerned about the amount of slop in the old truck, hence the replacement.
I never thought of tongs as being reliable enough for a critical lift...but apparently so. I have never really been around them much.

Sure must be a quick way to set up a pick. Cool to see how that works.

Again, not a technique for everybody. Tongs can lift but they can also slip or rip out. Different types of wood, alive or dead, and the diameter of the piece being picked can all affect how the tongs bite. Most new guys automatically want to position the tongs in a crack which usually makes them slip out. I never ever let anybody under a suspended log for any reason (my guy Ron is great about that) and we always confirm we have a good bite before lifting.

Think of it as comparable to climbing with spikes. They are effective but you have to make sure you have a good bite on every step. Spike into a crack or rotten wood and you can kick out and fall.

Learning new stuff all the time, here.
I used to think, Tongs were like Chinese mafia.

I liked it a lot. Tongie here is a nearby town (Tonganoxie). Only tongs we have are on the homemade log arch -- if they slip, you only drop something 6" to a foot down to the ground. Chains, slings, or the grapple for material handling here using the grapple truck. And like you, everyone on the crew has the understanding not to ever walk under the material being lifted!

Skidding tongs are different than lifting tongs.

We've loaded logs by tongs. Not as nice as a grapple, but also makes it easy to fold the boom. My friend doesn't have a grapple holder, off the boom.

This area has heavy landscaping cloth everywhere, and heavily planted, about 3' spacing or so.

I had this old piece of 6-8" foam on plywood.

The homeowners want to use short logs for the landscaping, as the slope doesn't hold mulch well.

They are keeping chips for landscaping use.

To dead to rig down logs, didn't want to rig smaller chunks.

IMG_20190128_142700460.jpg IMG_20190128_144611006.jpg IMG_20190128_145106726.jpg IMG_20190128_142657254.jpg

I CANNOT believe you really posted a foam job.:lol:

Way back history for the folks that were not around back then.

It does look like it worked just fine. Did you blow your whistle at your groundie???

Foam!...can anyone see the Home Depot rope and the blokes picked up from behind the MacDonald's too :lol:

It was old and sitting around, no longer a mattress.

Figured it might help. All the brush was out by the time it was chunk down time.

Didn't destroy the plywood or foam, both of which are very disposable.

Certainly didn't buy it for tree work.

Homeowners like diligence, even if a bit is possible for show.

I pounded another area today without the foam, and u think it might be the new thing to couple with a stunt-person airbag for lack of a good roper.
Just kidding.

Ugly Olympia ;)

Oyster farmer work boats, I was told.

IMG_20190130_172751057.jpg

My Groundman cleaning the area before roping his first Porta-wrap job. Now he's a 'rapper'!

This whole area is landscaped on about 2-3' spacing, with heavy landscape cloth everywhere, sprinkler lines and exposed headed, decorative driftwood.

Homeowners (guy just has full hip replacement, himself, a retired orthopedic surgeon, later hospital administrator) were watching and taking pictures from the dining room windows overlooking the patio where we are working. We have been his entertainment during his convalescence.

Straight as an arrow from 12' upwards.

IMG_20190130_153117329.jpg

Face-cut is perpendicular to the grain. The corkscrew of this doug-fir's base is not captured by the pictures.

IMG_20190130_165310472.jpg

Cutting perpendicular to the grain.

IMG_20190130_165324281.jpg

Laid between the fern and little whippy decidious landscape plant, without hitting any other plants.

IMG_20190130_165948187.jpg

I was having trouble posting on the WiFi while having dinner.

Edited the post with pics and captions.

Cory, I don't follow?.?.

Always tricky to tell all from a pic, but if I were cutting that tree from that position in pic #3, I would cut the face with a pulling chain as you likely did and then make back cut with a pushing chain/top of bar rather than holding saw upside down like that. I know to some degree you PNWers prefer that position especially if using full wrap handlebars. Just razzing ya.

Push chain is amateur hour in my neck of the woods. Think I've mentioned that once or twice. :D

I can't explain it any simpler than they do at about 5:00 in this video. When using the bottom of the bar the chainsaw teeth are moving towards the operator which pulls the saw away from the operator. The top of the bar is the opposite and inherently more dangerous because of this. Minimize risk anyway you can. To use a push chain to 'not get sawdust on you' is not nearly as good of a reason as using a pull chain 'so the saw is pulled away from you not pushed towards you'. It all becomes very important if you strike a solid object within the tree, spike, old metal fence post, whatever. Also because of the kickback zone, it's much more likely to contact something when cutting with the top of the bar then the bottom, because it's on the top of the tip. So you are moving the kickback zone forward as part of the leading edge, instead of with a pull chain where it is trailing behind. After the cut so to speak.

And is yet another reason why 3/4 wrap handlebars are superior, allowing you to position yourself and use the saw in the most safe way possible way more then a 1/2 wrap.

Everything is all good until it isn't. My uncle went nearly 30years felling/bucking before he took a kickback to the face. Life altering event. I can assure you he was quite adept with a saw, still is. Just because it's never happened yet, doesn't mean it can't.

https://www.worksafebc.com/en/resou...rd-video-series/using-the-saw-4-of-17?lang=en

To use a push chain to 'not get sawdust on you' i

That's a fresh one!! Who said that

It boils down to different strokes. Some of the best saw ops on earth back chain frequently, some others little as possible.

Because when you are limbing and bucking smaller logs with the bar pointing downwards, backchaining makes the saw almost weightless if it is done correctly.

Makes a heck of a difference over a full day.

Back