The Official Work Pictures Thread

The client gave the one year figure. It looked more like 3 when I reached the upper part. Woodpeckers had already had a blast lifting the bark.

No issue with tips, just the idea of the stems separating seems unlikely.

You’re the man in the harness, not dissing, just curious as to the failure characteristics of the species.

Somebody on this forum once said something along the lines of "You never really know exactly where the line is until you've crossed it."

I think part of the call would involve what the crotchs looked like. Tight crotch? Included bark?, etc?

If you made good time/money on it. Or if it made no difference to you what you made and your employer was happy with the job, then no if definetly wasn't overkil IMO.

Nice work!

Thanks Squisher. Crotches were tight and low making the three main stems look like three trees. I got couple throw lines stuck. I had planned a full day and we finished on time so the extra strapping did not hurt the plan. Could have spent more time celebrating by the fire I guess. Here is a bad pic of the original mess. 20180922_072651.jpg

If a tree has been dead a while, I'll go ahead and throw in a TIP up high first.
I find it's added security in case your spurs kick out on you on the way up due to rot or not sinking them into the hard, dry wood.

Hi Mick, I looked at all my climbing notes and I use a climb line with spurs most of the time . A climb line on the tree itself or a tree close by and spurs and a flip line. I started as a rec climber and when I trained/practiced with spurs, I was using a backup rope. After that, I stuck with the rope and spur combo. It feels very weird to not have the rope. As I get better sending a throw line, the time spent setting up the climb line gets shorter and shorter. I find that the main drawback of climbing with spikes and a climb line is the potential to spike the line. I am getting better at avoiding this situation as well. Lastly, with an ash which bark has been lifted by woodpeckers, there is not much to spike into.

EAB ash sucks. Plenty of municipalites have a no climb rule for dead ash. The wood seems to go soft and punky. Peeling large chunk of bark on spurs is par for the course. High tie in is a plus. Dropped one today. 30 " dbh. Spar was strong, canopy exploded. A few weeks ago I dropped one, only 18" dbh, a dull chain put on backwards could have cut the ash no problem.

Not sure if EAB is in Connecticut yet, but I remember hearing Beetle killed Ash loses strength really quickly

It's here and I find it amazing how fast the ash are dying. We've been taking out a lot of them lately. Haven't had any problems yet but we are very careful. I can certainly envision turning down some Ash jobs in the not so distant future when they become unsafe to climb

Connecticut is ripe with EAB. Moving ash firewood is not recommended. I still have a few nice ones in my yard. Most of them get infected from the top down so it is difficult to see early signs and once the lower bark has started to be peeled of by birds then it is too late.

Back